Honda Accord Forum This popular mid sized car is offered in both a coupe and sedan, mixes performance with versatility.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Radio code ?

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2022, 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by grcauto
A few transistors...How many of these have you repaired over the years?
You should stick with that you are sure of. A first year AV technician will know it's a power supply problem.
You sound like you know nothing about the radio in a vehicle!!!
The power supply comes from the battery (DC) and there is only a modest filter in the radio.
And first year AV techs do not repair such things since replacing the radio is so much cheaper and easier.
In production of the car radios, some companies do have techs "tune" the radio.
And, if there is a different fault then it goes to troubleshooting where they have the schematics.
Do you have any schematics of this radio?? Just wondering.
If this was a home unit then it might be a power supply issue. Because the AC voltage must be converted to DC.

Last edited by avisitor; 04-11-2022 at 01:36 PM.
Old 04-11-2022, 01:30 PM
Banned

i'm not going to argue with you but i've repaired my share. I've been a cet for more than 50 years.
Your statement of ""quite evident" that the power supply works as it does come on and it does make noise from time to time." proves this following statement.
You've not repaired any. You have no idea how they even work so let it go.
stay out of any of my threads or posts or i'll ban you from anything of mine.

Old 04-11-2022, 01:34 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by avisitor
You sound like you know nothing about the radio in a vehicle!!!
The power supply comes from the battery (DC) and there is only a modest filter in the radio.
And first year AV techs do not repair such things since replacing the radio is so much cheaper and easier.
If this was a home unit then it might be a power supply issue. Because the AC voltage must be converted to DC.
THANK YOU well put. Now all I have to do is get rid of the other dude "CET" guy.

Old 04-11-2022, 02:01 PM

You can believe him if you like but it don't make either of you right. EVERY radio has an INTERNAL power supply. ALL without exception.

Old 04-11-2022, 02:10 PM
Banned

The radio code is specific for each individual radio. It is needed if power to the radio is cut off.
Situation where it would be cut off from power is when changing the battery or if stolen.
If stolen then the radio requiring a code would prevent the radio from being worth taking.

Normally, the radio code would be on a sticker in the glove box.
If it does not then go to "https://radio-navicode.honda.com/"
Follow instructions there to see if you can get the radio code.
Radio must be a Honda OEM type.

If you decide to replace the radio then a code is not necessary as the new radio will probably not need one.
But, that would make it more tempting for thieves to steal the radio. a Detachable face can help deter car radio thieves
Anyway, that would be up to the vehicle owner.

Repairing the radio is usually much more expensive than replacing it.

Doubtful it is a power supply issue since it is mostly coming from a DC (battery source).
The alternator may have an AC component that may distort the radio sound but that is rare.
Usually, the radio has a few transistor amplifiers that are failing which causes loud noise at start up.
That can be caused by transient currents when first turning on the unit.
You say "repairing" the radio is usually more expensive then replacing it WOW I just called a Dealer and they want $1,000 for a new Radio. I'd hate to see what a repair job would be on one from them. Some time ago I tracked down a place that said they can repair my radio for I think around $350 +/- but I cant for the life of it remember that shop ( f-en bummer) LOL.
If anyone in the So Cal area knows where a repair shop is please let me know. Fixed Income $ u c k s

Last edited by C 10 man; 04-20-2022 at 01:00 PM.
Old 04-11-2022, 02:33 PM
Banned

The radio code is specific for each individual radio. It is needed if power to the radio is cut off.
Situation where it would be cut off from power is when changing the battery or if stolen.
If stolen then the radio requiring a code would prevent the radio from being worth taking.

Normally, the radio code would be on a sticker in the glove box.
If it does not then go to "https://radio-navicode.honda.com/"
Follow instructions there to see if you can get the radio code.
Radio must be a Honda OEM type.

If you decide to replace the radio then a code is not necessary as the new radio will probably not need one.
But, that would make it more tempting for thieves to steal the radio. a Detachable face can help deter car radio thieves
Anyway, that would be up to the vehicle owner.

Repairing the radio is usually much more expensive than replacing it.

Doubtful it is a power supply issue since it is mostly coming from a DC (battery source).
The alternator may have an AC component that may distort the radio sound but that is rare.
Usually, the radio has a few transistor amplifiers that are failing which causes loud noise at start up.
That can be caused by transient currents when first turning on the unit.
Your suggestion for getting the radio code from (www.radio-navicode.honda.com) needs two things 1st is the VIN I have that 2nd is the radio serial numbers the radio is still in and I'm not wanting to tear into it before I have someone to fix it for a reasonable price.

Old 04-11-2022, 08:53 PM

Originally Posted by C 10 man
before I have someone to fix it for a reasonable price.
When the fix the ends up being the power supply of the radio will you guys even mention it?
I won't hold my breath.
BTW the repair would be under 400 at a facility that does that kind of work.

Old 04-12-2022, 01:05 AM

Originally Posted by C 10 man
Your suggestion for getting the radio code from (www.radio-navicode.honda.com) needs two things 1st is the VIN I have that 2nd is the radio serial numbers the radio is still in and I'm not wanting to tear into it before I have someone to fix it for a reasonable price.
You can not always have things your way. And if you really want the radio code then you will have to do what is necessary.

When the fix the ends up being the power supply of the radio will you guys even mention it?
I won't hold my breath.
BTW the repair would be under 400 at a facility that does that kind of work.
For $400 dollars, one can get a very nice radio with navigation and car play. Maybe it might include a rear view camera?
So which is better? Having a tech try to fix an old radio? Or buy a new one with more features?

The radio does not have a power supply. That is the function of the battery or alternator on a vehicle. They provide DC voltage.
The radio usually has a modest filtering system for incoming power. If that fails then it is possible to have the symptoms mentioned before.
An RC circuit with maybe a Zener diode which regulates the voltage. But, it does not mean that it is the only possible cause.

Old 04-12-2022, 01:13 PM

The radio does not have a power supply. That is the function of the battery or alternator on a vehicle. They provide DC voltage.
The radio usually has a modest filtering system for incoming power. If that fails then it is possible to have the symptoms mentioned before.
An RC circuit with maybe a Zener diode which regulates the voltage. But, it does not mean that it is the only possible cause.
You say words that sound like you know what you are talking about except to those who actually know about electronic devices.
To say the vehicle battery is the power supply of the radio is absurd to anyone who knows the first thing about this. The only thing the battery is is a power source to the devise it is NOT the devices power supply. You don't know what you are talking about and you should leave it to those who do.

Old 04-13-2022, 12:59 AM

You say words that sound like you know what you are talking about except to those who actually know about electronic devices.
To say the vehicle battery is the power supply of the radio is absurd to anyone who knows the first thing about this. The only thing the battery is is a power source to the devise it is NOT the devices power supply. You don't know what you are talking about and you should leave it to those who do.
When you take out a car radio out of a car, how do you power the radio?
You hook up a power supply to it.
What are the three types of power supplies?
Linear, switching, and battery based.
The car radio is battery based with a little filtering.

You do not know everything but enough to be dangerous.

Quick Reply: Radio code ?