Honda Accord Forum This popular mid sized car is offered in both a coupe and sedan, mixes performance with versatility.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Replace Drivers Door Window 1993 Accord SE

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2020, 05:34 PM
Default Replace Drivers Door Window 1993 Accord SE

My old ride has problems with the drivers door window. There are two clips on the bottom of the glass that are bound in place by a plastic or epoxy material. Inside those clips are acorn shaped nuts that have an outer ring of what looks like sprocket teeth. These teeth are designed to help the nut stay in place in the epoxy so that the retaining bolts can be placed.

My problem is that the acorn-nut-with-sprocket teeth has come loose from the epoxy; thus the glass is not connected to the actuator arm. There are 2 of these bolts and nuts. The one that has come loose on min is the one closest to the handle, not the one at the front of the door. I tried using superglue to hold the nut in place without success. I then tried epoxy without success.

I found a couple of YouTube vids but they didn't address replacing the clips and they referred to newer Hondas.

My question is whether or not the clips on the glass can be removed and replaced or not. If so, how, and where can I get replacements. My only other option is to go to a salvage yard and find a '93 Accord which might not be all that easy to do.

Thanks for any help.

Old 05-21-2020, 09:28 PM
Super Moderator

Welcome to the forum. You are correct to go to a salvage yard but have you tried asking an auto glass replacement shop to repair. Not to replace. Cost should not be too high.

Old 05-22-2020, 12:06 AM

Thanks, acmech! I found and ordered clips and bolts that might allow me to do the repair. I'm waiting for them to arrive. If I can't make the repair, I'll follow your advice and check with an auto glass shop near me. If all else fails, I'll find a pick-a-part and try my luck.