Honda Accord Forum This popular mid sized car is offered in both a coupe and sedan, mixes performance with versatility.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Steering Wobble - 1992 Accord Wagon EXR

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2023, 11:25 PM
Angry Steering Wobble - 1992 Accord Wagon EXR

Greetings All,
I have a 1992 Honda Accord Wagon (200kms) that has recently developed a slight wobble when applying the brakes from higher speeds.
Back Story:
For the last 3 years I have used steel rim winter tires that are not easy to balance because the rims are not perfectly hub-centric so even with adapter rings, it would still wobble slightly above 80kmh. Every summer I'd swap to the aluminum wheels and they were smooth. The ABS has been faulty for the last 13 years I've owned it (bought it with 54k in in 2012) and I do want to replace the ABS system but it just hasn't really been a priority.
Last year, I almost t-boned someone and had to slam on the brakes and slid for 20 feet, before managing to avoid the car. After that, I had a slight wobble when applying the brakes!
Easy fix I thought, so I replaced the front rotors and pads, but it still wobbled (less though)... So I checked the calipers, and the pins were sticky so I replaced the calipers too... and did the master cylinder to solve another issue with slow brake pedal sponge. Still had the wobble!! So I replaced the outer AND inner tie rod ends... STILL wobbles... The wobble is slight, just as I start to apply the brake, but once I start to slow down, it smooths out.
Is it possible by power steering is damaged or loose from the winter tire wobble and hard brake? I did notice some power steering fluid in the inner tie rod boot when I took it off, but its a 31 year old car, and I'm sure thats the factory power steering rack. Could the ABS modulator be causing this?
The back brakes arent new but they dont appear to be in bad shape, besides, could a problem in the back brakes cause steering to wobble??
I still have upper control arms, and lower ball joint that I'm going to replace, but I'm grasping at straws here :P

Anyone have any ideas?

Old 09-14-2023, 08:48 PM

Old car and not taken care of ... would you buy it if someone was selling this car to you?
Yeah, your vehicle has issues. And, you have let it go for a long time. So long that now you are here asking for a miracle.
So, there is no advice or any ideas that will provide this miracle.
However, I do wish you good luck in fixing this.

Old 09-18-2023, 02:00 PM

Originally Posted by avisitor
Old car and not taken care of ... would you buy it if someone was selling this car to you?
Yeah, your vehicle has issues. And, you have let it go for a long time. So long that now you are here asking for a miracle.
So, there is no advice or any ideas that will provide this miracle.
However, I do wish you good luck in fixing this.
Hi AVisitor,
Thanks for the reply. I would definitely buy this car if someone was selling it. It's in immaculate condition for its age, interior is spotless, only a tiny bit of rust starting behind the rear wheel well (which is always the first place on this model and year) and engine it totally clear! I definitely baby and clean this car regularly, and take really good care of it, so it hasn't been left to die by any means... That being said, the wobble has been happening for over a year now, but with the winter tires wobbling I didn't really pay close attention to it till the aluminum rims were back on last spring. I guess I could just accept the fact that it's an old car and will wobble... but it was always smooth before!
In the mean time I've now replaced the Upper Control Arms and lower ball joints, and things are slightly better. I'm starting to wonder if the wheels themselves are the culprits. Perhaps it's time to have them re-balanced in case something fell off in the "near T-bone"... Otherwise I have extracted the ABS system from my other old 92 accord wagon and might just swap that into this one.
but thanks for the good wishes, I know I'll need them!

Old 09-18-2023, 06:58 PM

Okay, have you checked the tie rods?
Jack up the front end and pull on the tie rods. Both outer and inner tie rods.
Making sure there is no play in them.
Is the wobble there while braking or just while driving?
Are the bolts holding the steering rack on the sub assembly okay?

Last edited by avisitor; 09-18-2023 at 07:02 PM.
Old 09-18-2023, 07:27 PM

wobble is only when I lightly apply brakes at high speed. If I push harder the wobble goes away... strange.
I have checked the tie rods (replace both inner and outer). Did the test where I pushed the wheels against the steering one at a time, and they both feel very solid. I will check the bolts holding the rack assemby, thats a good idea that I hadnt though of. I think I'll use my "free balancing" from my tire place and drop them off to make sure a weight didnt fall off on the hard stop... Thanks for the tip!

Old 11-13-2023, 07:40 PM

Follow up on this issue:
I've found the problem. It appears to be manufacturer defect on the NEW rotors I installed early into my work. The thickness of the rotor surface varies on the inside ventilated surface so when the brakes heat up, it warps them ever so slightly!
Video of the brake surface. Front Left is the bad rotor.

It's so unfortunate that the original issue that made me replace everything for was also wobble from a hard brake.
I guess there's something to be learned from all this... dont trust new parts? The rotors were purchased new, and because they're captive rotors its a major pain to replace and warranty is also more pain than worth. I'll be swapping them in the next few months, and I'll probably do the front bearings at the same time.

Old 11-14-2023, 12:35 PM
Super Moderator

Good Find. Thank You for the follow up