Honda Accord Forum This popular mid sized car is offered in both a coupe and sedan, mixes performance with versatility.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Upper Cover Timing Belt--Broken Bolt Housing...& Misc

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2018, 02:35 PM
Default Upper Cover Timing Belt--Broken Bolt Housing...& Misc

Missing Parts! Important For Finishing Timing Belt Replacement Project???Mod, please move if this doesn't fall under "urgent" sub-forum. I would want to know if I need replacement parts now while I have all timing belt related parts removed and need to get the car running tomorrow.

Model: see signature

Issue #1:
The timing belt front upper cover is usually attached by 2 bolts to the rear/back upper cover [=BUC, which is between the cylinder head and the cam sprocket]. The front part [bolt area towards the radiator side] can no longer be bolted because the plastic sleeve/housing/tab of the BUC broke. The BUC houses the bolt's metal barrel that secures the bolt.

The BUC costs alot for just a stupid plastic back cover plate. Would there be any issue if that left bolt tab area is without a bolt attached in the long term? So, the front upper cover would only be secured with only one bolt [located towards the firewall side] remaining.

Issue #2:
The rubber seal around the tensioner main nut is missing. Would this be a problem?

Illustration Pictures of Parts below:
*Very annoying, new members can't include external link. Also, very frustrating experience here of attaching any image [e.g. size quota, but my attachment was clearly under maximum limits]

Illustration Pictures of Parts:
https://www.hondapartsnow.com/Page_P...-belt&Diagram=
item #3
11820-P0A-000
Cover, Timing Belt (Upper)

item #4 [BUC]
11830-PAA-800
Cover, Timing Belt Back
*the area affected is the bolt hole to the left of #16

item #22
tensioner adjusting nut rubber seal

----------------------------------
In care of...2000 Accord EX 2.3L sedan F23a4

Old 04-03-2018, 02:35 PM

???
OT: curious if this is bad for anything if I turn on the engine, while many parts are removed [timing, balancer & accessory drive belts, pulley tensioners, balancer drive & belt pulleys,]. I might have to wait for my brother to get some parts at the dealership and get a couple things done. I might want to heat up the engine and open up the heater core to drain possibly more coolant as well as help drain the oil for an oil filter change.