Honda Civic Forum This top selling compact car, offered in both a coupe or sedan, has become popular among people who want economy and performance.

1998 honda civic ex automatic I NEED HELP

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2009, 06:23 PM
Exclamation 1998 honda civic ex automatic I NEED HELP

im a owner of a automatic 1998 honda civic. it has 90k miles. i bought it when it ran but neeed body work. i took the motor out and fixed everything. after i installed the motor i noticed that the check engine light is on. i took the car out for a spin, it did not feel right at all. It feels like the tranny shifts hard, and the car studders some times. i went to shucks and got the code reader. it gave me codes, P0325, P0700, P0720. i replaces the knock sensor (p0325). and reset the computer. then the light came back on and it gave me the same codes! including the knock. so what are your thaughts on this? any help will be much appreciative!

Old 03-25-2009, 09:56 PM

P0325 Knock sensor Circuit malfunction
P0700 Automatic Transmission Control System
P0720 Counter shaft speed sensor malfunction

Ok the first code is the knock sensor and you may have another problem with the circuit it self maybe a short in the harness.

As for the 2 tranny codes you said this car needed body work when you got it you pull the motor. I would double check connections of the wiring harness first.
Then I would find the location of that counter shaft speed sensor and see if its bad. The control system code may have something to do with that speed sensor code.

I hope you made sure the torque converter was in as far as it would go on the transmission. If that is not sitting right it can cause PROBLEMS!!!

Double check yourself you did a lot of work and sometimes you need to take a step back and just double check your work. Make sure your fluids are all in check also.

Good luck

Old 03-25-2009, 10:45 PM

Originally Posted by josh2113

Ok the first code is the knock sensor and you may have another problem with the circuit it self maybe a short in the harness.

As for the 2 tranny codes you said this car needed body work when you got it you pull the motor. I would double check connections of the wiring harness first.
Then I would find the location of that counter shaft speed sensor and see if its bad. The control system code may have something to do with that speed sensor code.

I hope you made sure the torque converter was in as far as it would go on the transmission. If that is not sitting right it can cause PROBLEMS!!!

Double check yourself you did a lot of work and sometimes you need to take a step back and just double check your work. Make sure your fluids are all in check also.

Good luck
thanks man. is there any way i can take a ownes meeter and check some wires to make sure the wire harness is functioning?

Old 03-25-2009, 10:49 PM

Good luck
i did not disconnect the motor from tranny. also the D4 light on the dash is blinking.

Old 04-01-2009, 09:54 PM

if you want to ohm check the knock sensor circuit you need to find out which wires goes to the ecu. unplug the ecu and using the meter, touch the two leads to the connectors on the plug to the two wires that go to the sensor. there is usually a spec for the ohm reading but taking a guess id say some where from 500-1000 ohms. if you dont get a reading, (OL, or a big 1) one of the wires is probably open (cut) find it and repair that wire

Old 08-26-2010, 01:27 AM

Good luck
If the vehicle is running and shifting fine it is probably not serious. It is about a $100 part and calls for only a half hour of labor.

Old 09-03-2010, 02:44 PM
skn
Default I have the same problem

Hi I am having the same problem with my Honda civic 97, Automatic after replacing the whole engine as head gasket was blown out.
Now I have drove around 200Miles.

Engine check light on with codes: P0700 and P0720. And D4 light blinks.

Please suggest me what to do? mail me kishan.nazre@gmail.com

Thanks in advance.