New Member Area New to HF? Stop in tell us about yourself.

Need Help with Honda Civic 1998

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2010, 07:47 PM
Default Need Help with Honda Civic 1998

Hi Everyone:

New to the board and first time posting.

A couple of weeks ago, I bought a Honda Civic 1998, 122 K, runs great, but has some minor issues. I brought it to a mechanic I knew and he checked it out on his lift and okayed the purchase, but told me about some things I'd need to do, like an oil seal that he could fix.

However, when I told him I bought, he sent me a proposed repair bill more than twice what he had said before I bought it (he said the seal fix would run about $500), and now he's talking more than one seal and a $1200 job. Also I have found some other issues that are going to cost me in the neighborhood of $700 (rear struts, timing belt, and front brakes), and the stereo system is disconnected, so I decided I'd get a new radio if I keep it and let the installer reconnect everything. Then there's the issue of cosmetics ... it needs a paint job because of scratches and nicks and paint fading on a few sections.

Whoopee do, $2500 to get it into mint condition. What am I to do? I brought it to a dealer and he would only give me $1100 on a trade. I'm embarrassed to say I paid $2500 ... the Blue Book value for good condition is $2695, but I guess you can't say it's in good condition or even fair, which is $2200 Blue Book. I'm also worried about the transmission because occasionally, there's a hesitation in 2nd or third gear, which might be nothing, as I've never driven a Honda before, and another mechanic who drove it thought the transmission seemed fine (fluid is not discolored).

What should I do now?

Thanks, Tom

Old 10-07-2010, 09:46 AM

Welcome to the forum ,Sounds like this car has not been taken care of,You might take it to another mechanic for a second opinion,How many miles is on the car? If you can drive it safely do so and get your money out of it.Good luck.

Old 10-08-2010, 01:06 AM

Congrats for your new civic and welcome here.I am also new here and hvaing a nice time.enjoy your stay.

Old 10-08-2010, 02:52 AM
Super Moderator

you can do some of the work yourself to save money, 1st thing to do is get a service manual if you decide to keep this car an fix to save or sell. then keep asking questions one at a time and we'll try to help in any way we can, also besure to do as bucwheat says, get a second opinion/estimate.

Old 11-03-2010, 08:02 PM

depends on how long you want to kep the car? the leak could have been misdiagnosed as a oil pan leak. it could really be a rear main seal leak, which is more money to fix. its probably due for a timing belt change. do get the manual and change the brakes your self if you can. just remember to put it back together like you took it off,lol. the rear struts i would let those go untill your tire starts looking choppy. if it does that then you really need them. thats the only reason i changed mine. as far as the tranny goes sounds like you are low on fluid. hope this helps