Honda Civic Forum This top selling compact car, offered in both a coupe or sedan, has become popular among people who want economy and performance.

2000 civic idle rough and dies

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2010, 08:40 AM
Default 2000 civic idle rough and dies

Hi all...

Ok so I just replaced the motor in my 2000 honda civic as well as a new clutch and fly wheel, water pump, timing belt, fuel filter, rotor cap and button, spark plugs & wires, head, and exhaust manifold. When I took the car back to the machine shop that did the head, it started running really bad. They had taken off the throttle cable when they valve lashed it and it hasnt run right since... needless to say ive taken it back a few times and to a few different people and nobody can get it right. When im driving it wants to buck like its backfiring and when I come to a stop the car idles really really low and just stops altogether. I dont have any check engine lights and no codes. I did notice that I was running through oil and gas pretty quickly though (more so then i should have) and the little maintenece required light changed from green to red pretty fast (no matter how many times i reset it). I can't seem to find a vaccum leak anywhere and Iv had the throttle assembly cleaned and lubed. The only temporary fix anyone can do is to adjust my idle up... to a point im not really comfortable with. Ive been told it could be my Idle air control valve but seeing as its an expensive part to fix I would rather be sure before I go spending that kind of money. Can anyone suggest a fix or test that could tell me exactly what my problem was?