Honda Civic Forum This top selling compact car, offered in both a coupe or sedan, has become popular among people who want economy and performance.

Advise from honda experts needed!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2014, 05:00 AM
Smile Advise from honda experts needed!!!!!

Hey guys and gals I recently purchased a 1999 honda civic si and I would like to do a few mods to increase my power while maintaining my fuel economy. However this is my first honda so I literally know nothing about them lol but I'm eager to learn and would be very appreciative of any advise or suggestions. I purchased the car for a daily driver to get away from my gas hog v8's and I can hardly believe how fun this thing is to drive I already enjoy it more than my terminator cobra if that tells you anything. The individual I purchased it from already has a few mods but again I'm not very knowledgeable about anything honda so forgive me if any of this comes as comical it has a MSD ignition system an AEM short intake pretty short piping with what seems to me kind of a small filter. It has a short throw shifter not sure of brand but shifts like a dream it has long tube headers not sure of brand JLT or JTL I think he called them but they seem fine. And he said it has some find of greddy exhaust system not sure of the specific kind but it sounds good lol so the exhaust is all fine as far as I'm concerned. Any other kinds of mods I should go with while staying naturally aspirated?

Old 06-04-2014, 09:21 PM

i would upgrade the suspension if you think it handles good now a set of quality coilovers and upgraded sway bars will make it ride on rails i would strongly recommend Progress Technology for both sway and coilovers there the highest quality for the cheapest price there made in america. you can find there series 2 system for around $600.

Old 06-06-2014, 10:51 PM
Thumbs up RE:

Thanks man I'll definitely look into it. I drive around 80 miles a day for work what's a good tire you would recommend while staying with the factory wheels? Also know of any other power adders?

Old 06-07-2014, 07:51 PM

for the money Falken makes some nice sticky summer sport tires called AZENIS or a good all season ZIEX ZE912. as far as adding more hp you already have all the bolt ons so unless your opening up the engine or spending some good money then no.

Old 06-08-2014, 04:22 PM

Thanks a lot man I really appreciate your time and suggestions..

Old 06-08-2014, 04:29 PM

What I would really like out of this car is a solid daily driver for the economic factor but I would also like to be able to burn down any little factory mustang GTs that come up revving at me. What would you suggest doing to the engine for max power while staying NA. Btw moneys not really a big issue

Old 01-22-2015, 10:25 PM

I've never done this but it sounds like it might be something to ask about here...

" The ECU is typically remapped to make better use of installed upgrades such as cams, intakes and exhaust. And even after you did the intake and headers, every mod there after you would eventually need to remap the ECU agian to get everything possible from your money and work."
Honda Civic Si Upgrades and Mods - Car Forums at Edmunds.com

Old 02-01-2015, 06:40 PM

a header,intake,exhaust alone will not require ECU upgrades evan a stage 1 cam wouldn't require this.

Old 02-02-2015, 07:24 PM

OK lowlife9, I was quoting a thread that I have no experience with, that's good to know as the OP will save money if he was going to do this.