Honda Civic Forum This top selling compact car, offered in both a coupe or sedan, has become popular among people who want economy and performance.

B18 swap to 97 civic HB

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2020, 01:51 PM
Default B18 swap to 97 civic HB

Hello all,
I have read several forums and watched several videos on youtube, and I would like to just come here for a final parts list check to make absolutely sure that I will have everything I need to perform the swap before I get started, and have the best parts to make sure I do it right.
I am not concerned with budget on this build as I am going to take my time with it, and plan to swap and build the engine NA, and eventually if I want it faster or want to get into racing I will then build the engine for boost and get the turbo kit and do all that. But for now I would like to just port and rebuild the head and add any bolt ons and tune it to increase the HP, while maintaining reliability and daily drivability.

I have a 1997 civic hatchback with a d16y7 and manual transmission, and I am getting a 1992 acura integra from my friend with the B18B1 and manual transmission.

So I will have the non vtec b18 engine, manual transmission, transmission linkages, ecu, wiring harness, axles, radiator/heater hoses, (from the integra.)
And the carbon fiber cold air intake, transmission mounts, AC compressor, (and anything else I need from the Civic)
And I am going to get a Civic SI T bracket, a crv b20 2-post bracket mount, and crv b20 ac mount, and an OBD2 to OBD1 harness all from Ebay.

I plan to pull the b18 and have the head ported and rebuilt with bigger cams and gears and valve train components (any recommendations would be greatly appreciated for these parts as I have done more research on a Mini Me swap and already got a y8 head, intake, and ECU but have decided to B18 swap now that this integra has fallen into my lap, so I am still researching the best parts for the B18).

I would like to gain some decent power NA, I don't care for numbers as much as reliability and DD-ability, but I'm sure I can easily get over 200HP with cams heads exhaust and tune.

And about tuning, is it required to have something like Hondata? I dont know much about tuning or piggy back systems, but if its cheapish and easier to get a decent tune with then I wouldnt mind going that route, so any recommendations there would be greatly appreciated!

So if I am missing any other necessary parts or anything recommended to make the swap go smoother, and any recommendations as to the cams and valve train or other bolt ons (headers, exhaust, fuel pump, injectors, ignition, cooling, anything else I may be forgetting.) I would greatly appreciate it!

This will be my first swap with a honda, I have only ever had V8 Camaros in the past, so I am relatively new to everything honda, but I am loving it so far.

Thanks!