Honda Civic Forum This top selling compact car, offered in both a coupe or sedan, has become popular among people who want economy and performance.

Best Civic for teen soon going to college in the fall

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2020, 01:28 PM
Post Best Civic for teen soon going to college in the fall

Hello, New member because i would appreciate hearing from the Civic experts here before embarking on my project. To get a used Honda Civic for my (non mechanical) son as he now has a job, will be graduating High School soon, and leaving for college in the fall.

I am relatively mechanically inclined, and can inspect used cars for typical items, and scan the car for DTC's. I'd like to hear what the experienced folks here would recommend for best year(s) for a 1st car Civic daily driver. I'd like to stay away from any possible trouble years that may involve internal engine or transmission issues, if I can. Also tips to look for both positive and negative based upon year/model. Reasonable value rates would be helpful as well.

I'm ready to do the work to search, inspect, test drive, haggle. I would just like to be placed at the start line of a decent path before I begin, and ask the group for input. Thanks!

P.S. He really wants a Civic, but a distant 2nd choice is an Accord. Way, way further down is a Corolla, then finally a Camry. No, scratch the last two. I'm projecting too much...

2008 Toyota Highlander Limited 123k
2015 Lexus ct200h Hybrid 34k (Wife's)

Old 02-05-2020, 06:06 PM
Super Moderator

welcome to the forum. i have had 87,98,02, civics, all good all had above 280k when given to a teen to drive for a first car. due to my back hurting, i have gone to a honda Fit. 290k miles and now going to the grandson as a first car. Civics are good cars, keep it stock, since being a first car. check the oil burn, some civics burn 0 oil between oil change, some burn a bit more but does not effect performance or smog checks.