Honda Civic Forum This top selling compact car, offered in both a coupe or sedan, has become popular among people who want economy and performance.

Can anyone tell me if this sounds correct?

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2015, 06:05 AM
Question Can anyone tell me if this sounds correct?

I have an 02 civic.Had the radiator,timing belt and water punp replaced. It still was overheating. I then took to a second "backyard mechanic" and he showed me how my 2 valves were leaking and 2 had pressure.He said it would be $1,700 for THE TOTAL JOB.. approx $300-350 for the man (george) to grind down THE HEAD GASKET approx $350 for parts and rest labor. He said parts were 1 head gasket set 2 head bolts 3 top overhaul gasket set ,, He also said george will need the head gasket set before he can do his work ..Does this sound right? I also asked why it had overheated and he said i burned the valves from allowing it to overheat and continue driving it. But he also said the burnt valves caused the head gasket to burn and cause i assume warping of it..?? I dont understand because everything i read says the oil will be like creamy colored and it isn't .It looks like normal oil ..He said the water did not get into the engine and if that happened it would be worse..Aklso there is no excessive exhaust gas coming out..Can someone tell me if i am getting ripped off?? I am a girl but always look up what is happening according to the mechanic and what he says it needs.. Some times i catch them in a lie and some times not, This is a lot to look up and it is a lot of little specifics so i thought i would go this route..Thank you for any info you can give me..

Old 05-30-2015, 03:36 AM
Super Moderator

welcome to the forum. I sounds about right, make sure it is a reputable shop, look them up in the internet, or check with the BBB. and what kind of warrany do they offer. Nothing wrong wih looking up info and reference on the guy George. The oil does not have to have water or look creamy for the head to be warp or burnt valves. It should be running rough.

Old 05-30-2015, 07:41 AM

Welcome in

Old 05-30-2015, 07:48 AM

Most time a blown head gasket or warped head will leak exhaust,you will hear a ticking sound,and your right in most cases water will mix with the oil and look milky but not always. He should shave the head. i would get another opinion,good luck.