Honda Civic Forum This top selling compact car, offered in both a coupe or sedan, has become popular among people who want economy and performance.

Civic B20 Vtec swap, Any good?

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2007, 11:59 AM
Default Civic B20 Vtec swap, Any good?

I have a buddy who's telling me a B20 bottom end with a GSR or type R head will walk away from Evo's and STI's. Any truth behind this. I was told there are two types of B20's one with an 8:1 and one with a 9:1 compression ratio. If all is true I would like to do a turbo set up on it. How will this effect the engine and is it going to be relaible? Also is this better then the B16 or even the B18? Thanks for the help

Old 07-28-2007, 12:23 PM
Default RE: Civic B20 Vtec swap, Any good?

a b20 has a very very good r/s (rod to stroke) ratio. so you will be able to boost a good 14 psi without stressing anything. and the b20z1 is the one with a 9:1 comp ratio and the b20b is the one with 8.5:1 ratio the difference is about 20 hp. and if your trying to go turbo your better off with b20b because you will need no modification except for a b16b head. which is very very rare it comes in a type r civic. thats the only head you want. the best amount of flow comes from a b16b. but from my recomendation i would not do any head swapping unless your intending to go N/A. because the ignorant people who say using a vtec head to run turbo on is a good idea are dumb. reason being is because once you do a head swap it automaticaly raises you compression ratio. besides you dont vtec anyways with turbo. if you get a good fuel managment system aloong with a good port matched and polished head job with cams, retainer kit and valves, you will be able to dominate the 400hp mark.. maximum power produced ive seen with a built with a b20 was 536bhp/320tq and it was built to pass emissions. passed with flyin colors with atomized water injection system. if you did a good setup and were looking to push around 300whp you would have a long lasting vehicle plus being able to stomp on most cars like STi's, All common hondas, 300zx dependingly, i beleive you have pottential to run high 11's so good luck.

Old 07-28-2007, 01:05 PM

Thanks for all the help man!!! I have a buddy who can do the set up for me and teach me how to do it. I just wanted to make sure it was reliable. So as far as a built B20 goes is it betterthen a built B16 or B18? Or even the new K20 swaps. I have an EK civic and just looking for bang for the buck and to shut up the EVO and STI guys. Also out of curiosity why don't you hit Vtec in a turbo set up?

Old 07-28-2007, 03:45 PM

ok first of all vtec is a 3rd rocker arm that is engaged after the a certain rpm has built up enough oil pressure in the vtec selinoid which is pretty much instantly when you turn your car on. but when your vtec does engage all it means is that you third rocker arm is taking place for your other two that you had so now from gettin a certain lift on your valves now you have higher lift on your valves meaning their open a bit longer and futher than normal. giving you a higher cfm intake to your combustion chamber. well what is the point of doing all that when u can put cams into a non vtec head and produce twice the power? vtec is nothing special i dont know why people are going crazy about it. oh and not a good setup for turbo because you can damage your head by having the high performance parts into your head and running extreme boost levels and reving hard with turbo.. not really valuble i would stick with non vtec less problems with turbo..if you get a chance get a b16b type r civic tranny and a keep the stock head and turbo charge the stock block you can hold 15 pounds if you get a modified ecu or a aem fuel management system.. jus make sure you are aware you can seize your injectors or run too lean because your stock fuel pump so make sure you upgrade those as well... happy tuning..