Honda Civic Forum This top selling compact car, offered in both a coupe or sedan, has become popular among people who want economy and performance.

gas smell but no leak

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2023, 02:29 AM
Default gas smell but no leak

Hi everyone.....I have a 2003 Honda Civic EX coupe...great car...lately I've been smelling gas but have looked underneath and find nothing leaking either in the front or the back of the car...the smell is coming from the left rear of the car...close to the fuel filler lid...but not even quite there... Could it be a bad gas cap?? The check engine light is NOT on...but I read that if the cap is bad and it's emitting fumes, it won't always turn the check engine light on...so I'm hoping and thinking this might be it??

Old 12-04-2023, 12:41 PM

If necessary take the heat shield off the exhaust manifold. See if the manifold is cracked.

Old 12-04-2023, 03:55 PM
Super Moderator

welcome tot he forum. It is possible that the gas cap seal is worn after 20 years of use. Gas cap is not to expensive and easy to replace.

Old 12-04-2023, 08:13 PM

thanks for the post and the advice...that's what I'm thinking...gas cap.....I took the car to my mechanic today and he looked under it, as did I earlier, and saw no evidence of leaking and of course, it behaved there and no gas smell...but I can easily replace the gas cap because as you said, after 20 years it could be a bit worn...
thanks again..I did find an OEM on ebay for 15.00..not a substitute..or LKQ..but an actual OEM...so yeah..I'll double check to make sure it is OEM and get it..

Old 12-05-2023, 10:24 PM

Originally Posted by awesomecivic
thanks for the post and the advice...that's what I'm thinking...gas cap.....I took the car to my mechanic today and he looked under it, as did I earlier, and saw no evidence of leaking and of course, it behaved there and no gas smell...but I can easily replace the gas cap because as you said, after 20 years it could be a bit worn...
thanks again..I did find an OEM on ebay for 15.00..not a substitute..or LKQ..but an actual OEM...so yeah..I'll double check to make sure it is OEM and get it..
You are wasting your money. If the cap were allowing that kind of vapor to leak you would have had a cel for it long ago.

Old 12-06-2023, 01:30 AM

Originally Posted by grcauto
You are wasting your money. If the cap were allowing that kind of vapor to leak you would have had a cel for it long ago.
haven't wasted any money...haven't purchased a new cap....I'm not sure what a "cel" is

Old 12-06-2023, 08:23 PM

Originally Posted by awesomecivic
haven't wasted any money...haven't purchased a new cap....I'm not sure what a "cel" is
Check engine light