Honda Civic Forum This top selling compact car, offered in both a coupe or sedan, has become popular among people who want economy and performance.

Hello out there!

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2019, 04:37 PM
Default Hello out there!

Hello everyone! Excited to be here! I picked up a 1991 Honda Civic 4 door yesterday for $200. Recently blew the head gasket and the guy needed money to get back home. Has 183k miles on it. Looks like the 2 front seats aren't original, so I would like to find some. Needs a stereo and a blower motor. We will be doing work on it as soon as it stops snowing. I'm interested in learning more about it. Pretty sure it was made in Japan, but don't know much else. Looking forward to chatting

Old 01-19-2019, 11:09 PM
Super Moderator

welcome to the forum. you got yourself a good project car for a good price. you can get most of your parts from a salvage yard. if you do the head job, make sure you change the timing belt, cam and crank seal, the water pump and tensioner. since he blew the head gasket, need to find out what caused the gasket to blow such as overheat. make sure you get a new thermostat, clean out the radiator,

Old 01-20-2019, 10:33 AM

Originally Posted by acmech52
welcome to the forum. you got yourself a good project car for a good price. you can get most of your parts from a salvage yard. if you do the head job, make sure you change the timing belt, cam and crank seal, the water pump and tensioner. since he blew the head gasket, need to find out what caused the gasket to blow such as overheat. make sure you get a new thermostat, clean out the radiator,
I know we planned on doing the belt and water pump because my husband said if it's already apart we might as well. It's my car so I'll be doing most of the work and he'll shadow me. He's very well versed in Honda's, we've had a few. I'll let him know about the cam and seal and see if he wants to do that as well.

Old 01-20-2019, 04:05 PM
Super Moderator

if you want to not worry about the cam and crank seal for another 110k miles, best to change it while you're changing the belt and water pump. also the tensioner. it may all look good, but if the seal leaks or tensioner goes bad, have to do the take a apart again. my 02 civic I did this every time I got the belt changed, no leaks good for 120k peace of mind.