Honda Civic Forum This top selling compact car, offered in both a coupe or sedan, has become popular among people who want economy and performance.

pricing for '93 si - expert needed

Old 07-15-2015, 12:36 AM
Default pricing for '93 si - expert needed

Hi all,
I have a '93 Civic si. I just got all the body work of over 20 years taken care of and a new paint job. The interior was pristine. All stock interior and mechanics. She looked like a new car and ran like it as well. I had all the maintenance records, the original manual (I was the original and only owner), I just put in a new timing belt, water pump and battery and major tune-up. I had her that way for 8 days before an SUV plowed into me and totalled my baby.

Insurance is coming back with absurdly low numbers. I need to find someone who can give insurance a real-world estimate of my car's value before the accident.

TO BE CLEAR - I KNOW THE VALUE OF THE CAR - THERE IS CONSENSUS AMONG SEVERAL EXPERTS WHO HAVE BEEN RIGHT ON TARGET WITH EVERYTHING I'VE ASKED PREVIOUSLY. UNFORTUNATELY, NONE OF THESE GUYS WILL BE RECOGNIZED BY INSURANCE. I NEED SOMEONE WHO DOES APPRAISALS AND PRICING FOR A LIVING WHO UNDERSTANDS THE COLLECTIBLE SI MARKET.

I would greatly appreciate any leads anyone could give me.

Attached Thumbnails pricing for '93 si - expert needed-violet-1.jpg  

Last edited by Julie Jordan; 07-20-2015 at 12:37 AM.
Old 07-15-2015, 05:49 AM
Super Moderator

welcome to the forum. Need to get the pricing from Nada.com, BB.com, list of all the work done to the car to improve the car other than normal mx.( brake pads, rotors, drums) unless performance items that will remain on the car. then get a list of what the car sells for from dealers, it is a bit of homework but to get the best price over low blue book, need to get info to convince the insurance co. why pay you more than low book.

Old 07-15-2015, 07:39 PM

Thanks so much. I've done most of this. Unfortunately none of these take into consideration the collectability of the '93 si. They are massively popular now as racers. Before I had all the work done, I had multiple offers for at least $1,000 more than these sites are listing. Collectors don't want conversions, they want stock items, so these sites don't calculate the things that give the car value in these markets.

Old 07-16-2015, 03:27 AM
Super Moderator

if you can get the offers in writing from buyers then this can also be used as an adjustment bargain tool for getting the payoff higher.

Old 07-16-2015, 03:36 AM

I love this idea. The thing is, since the car is totalled, how do I go about ethically selling a car that realistically no longer exists? Any ideas on what is acceptable in this situation? I was thinking of posting on Craig's List for this reason, but then I thought that just wouldn't be right as the car is now totalled.

Old 07-17-2015, 06:49 AM
Super Moderator

what I ment was when the car was done and perfect, those who offered higher bids on the car, get their offers in writing if you can, thismay help with the higher offer than low book. the car is not an antique to the insurance co. unless you paid classic insurance as my 57chev. it was insured for 13k at the time and it cost a good price. with the car wrecked currently, it is not worth much.

Old 07-19-2015, 01:29 AM

insurance companies don't care about sentimental value were talking about a civic here not a Duesenberg.

Old 07-20-2015, 12:26 AM

I see. My current problem is that I have offers in writing - that are $1,500 higher than insurance will give me currently - for my car BEFORE I had the body fixed and the mechanical issues all adressed. So it was worth substantially more after that investment, but as I no longer wanted to sell, I have no offers in writing for the much more valuable iteration of my car.

Last edited by Julie Jordan; 07-20-2015 at 12:29 AM. Reason: grammar
Old 07-20-2015, 12:28 AM

Originally Posted by lowlife9
insurance companies don't care about sentimental value were talking about a civic here not a Duesenberg.
This was totally useless and unnecessary. Especially given that you have no way of knowing the actual numbers involved as I haven't listed any.

I'm not talking about sentimental value. I'm talking about market value. I have a lot of agreement about the value from people who understand this market, which is very narrow but very enthusiastic. They've were absolutely correct about the amount I could get when I was thinking of selling and I got numerous offers that lined up to those opinions. What I need is not just an expert, but one recognized by insurance.

If you know anyone who understands the current value of the '92 -'94 si in the racing market, that is information I can use. Pontificating about irrelevant things when you have no information isn't helpful.

Last edited by Julie Jordan; 07-20-2015 at 03:36 AM. Reason: grammar