Honda Civic Forum This top selling compact car, offered in both a coupe or sedan, has become popular among people who want economy and performance.

problems with my '97 civic pls help

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2023, 08:08 PM
Question problems with my '97 civic pls help

Okay, so this is my first time doing this whole forum stuff, but here we go.

So I bought a '97 Civic auto and have almost had it for a year now, learning what's under the hood and everything mechanics (first "project" car) and it's been having a couple of problems since I bought it. The first thing is I'm having high idle. Now I researched about idling for civics and the main things to look for are vacuum lines, throttle body, sensors, etc. I replaced the MAP sensor (the check engine light went off after that), cleaned the throttle, and checked everything "air" related and it's still idling. Now the second thing is rattling, when I turn the car on I can hear some "rattling-like" sounds around the passenger side and it's been like that since (might be the motor mounts but I'm not sure). Another thing is an oil leak, but it's pretty self-explanatory (I got this one haha). And the last thing is my gas hand showing inaccurate readings (let's say I filled up my tank on "half", it would go up and back down then sometimes on "E" when I'm driving), haven't seen much talked about this topic if anything let me know.

I tried taking it to the mechanics and you know how that goes, charging an arm and a leg to do something minor haha, so I figured to get on the forum and see if anyone out can help so I can hopefully fix the problem myself; it'll be much appreciated. Thank you!

ps: even if you don't have a solution but just tips or words of advice just reply also I would appreciate it! any questions let me know!

Old 08-12-2023, 09:21 PM

What did the mechanic do? You fuel sender has bad spots. Did you or the mechanic check for vacuum leaks?

Old 08-12-2023, 09:25 PM

The mechanic didn't do anything I just told him what the problems were and he wanted to charge me something I can do myself (the price). When you say "fuel sender" you're talking about what indicates fuel back to the gauge? And no the mechanic hasn't checked any vacuum leaks (not that I know of if there is a vacuum leak).

Old 08-14-2023, 11:57 AM

High idle can be due to a number of things. One is vacuum leak. Anything along the intake that is leaking unmetered air into the engine. Spraying brake clean (caution: flammable) in the areas (gaskets, throttle area, etc) and listening for changes in idle.

Fuel sender unit is usually at the fuel pump if the fuel pump is in the gas tank. Basically a float attached to a variable resistor. Yes, it is in the fuel tank. Some times manufacturer may put access hole under the back seat or behind the back seat. Other manufacturers will make you drop the gas tank to get at the fuel pump and sender unit.

Oh, go to Youtube and search for engine rattle at start up. It could be the chain or the guide

Last edited by avisitor; 08-14-2023 at 07:58 PM.
Old 08-14-2023, 07:13 PM

Originally Posted by nvto
The mechanic didn't do anything I just told him what the problems were and he wanted to charge me something I can do myself (the price). When you say "fuel sender" you're talking about what indicates fuel back to the gauge? And no the mechanic hasn't checked any vacuum leaks (not that I know of if there is a vacuum leak).
What did you do?

Old 08-22-2023, 02:44 AM

I haven't done anything yet, for the idle I found out it could be the TPS sensor (when I unplugged my MAP sensor the idle went down, and when I unplugged the TPS sensor nothing happened. so I would need to replace it), but as far as anything else I haven't touched nothing.