Honda Civic Forum This top selling compact car, offered in both a coupe or sedan, has become popular among people who want economy and performance.

Question About Compliance Bushing

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2016, 10:09 AM
Default Question About Compliance Bushing

I have an 05' Honda Civic Coupe EX, 185,000 miles.

I got back from my mechanic and they pointed out that my compliance bushing was beginning to tear on the driver side and that the passenger side has minor tears. They recommend replacing the front lower control arm compliance bushings and would include an alignment, all to the tune of $550.

They mentioned a tire rotation might help which I coincidentally enough was already going to have the next day, and they mentioned they would check back in on it the next time I came in to see the status at that point.

I've never had an issue with this before and as such don't know much about it. Is this safe to drive on in the short term considering it's beginning to tear? I was about to drive a combined total of 1,000 miles in a week or so on vacation so just wanted to check the pulse of the knowledgeable community around here for advice.

Thank you in advance!

Old 09-01-2016, 06:11 PM

the bushings dont last very long on these cars because of the suspension setup. replacing them is a big job so 500 bucks doesn't seem bad with a alignment. if you do replace them dont use oem rubber bushings use either Energy Suspenion polyurethane or Moogs new spherical bushings that don't use rubber. as for them being dangerous driving on them like that id say no, if they haven't started clunking then you should be fine for a while,

Old 09-02-2016, 09:51 AM

Originally Posted by lowlife9
the bushings dont last very long on these cars because of the suspension setup. replacing them is a big job so 500 bucks doesn't seem bad with a alignment. if you do replace them dont use oem rubber bushings use either Energy Suspenion polyurethane or Moogs new spherical bushings that don't use rubber. as for them being dangerous driving on them like that id say no, if they haven't started clunking then you should be fine for a while,
Thank you for the reply LL. When would the clunking be apparent? Just a constant knocking on and off sound, or just when I'm turning, or braking, or accelerating?

Old 09-10-2016, 05:37 PM

all of the above but mainly during acceleration and braking. like i said if they haven't started clunking you should be fine but i wouldn't drive around very long if they do start clunking.

Last edited by lowlife9; 09-10-2016 at 05:40 PM.