Honda Civic Forum This top selling compact car, offered in both a coupe or sedan, has become popular among people who want economy and performance.

Suspension opinions needed

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2006, 03:55 PM
Default Suspension opinions needed

Hi, first off I'll introduce myself. My name is Joe and my girlfriend has an 01 Civic LX that is mostly used for commuting and some weekend trips because of the good gas mileage vs my RX-7. We are in need of some shocks and maybe somesprings. Does anybody have any experience with the ride quality of the KYB GR-2 vs stock replacement and what about the Tokico HP shocks? Would HP shocks and stock springs be comfortable?

I'd like to maintain most ofthe comfort while driving normally, but also make the suspension more capable while on the freewayand driving with a loaded vehicle.Currently the car oscilates and feels very disconnected from theroad. I'm not looking for boy-racer set-ups because I already have it in my other car.

These are our priorities:
Commuting comfort
Stable feeling while at speed
Stablefeeling while car is loadedwith luggage andpeople.
More sporty feeling over stock suspension

I know tiresare a huge part of the equation,so we are buying new tires, probably the best tire for the stock size (185/70-14).

So that's most of the details in a scattered post. feel free to add comments or ask questions. Perhaps I didn't mention everything.

Thanks for the time.

Old 09-05-2006, 06:42 PM
Default RE: Suspension opinions needed

yes kyb struts are good but never heard of the other and i would go with a 2inch ebicah spring the ride will be great and ull still have the feel of stock rid but smoother ad handling will imporve so hope u have that fixed

Old 09-19-2006, 04:30 PM
Default RE: Suspension opinions needed

something to remember when changing suspension... always change your struts and springs at the same time. if you change just your stock struts you're not going to feel too much of a difference because you stock springs are way too stiff. if you change just your stock springs you'll blow out your stock struts. kyb gr-2s are great struts (i had those on my civic) or you could try kyb agx which are adjustable.