Honda Civic Forum This top selling compact car, offered in both a coupe or sedan, has become popular among people who want economy and performance.

Why is my motor hard to turn over after rebuild?

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2015, 05:55 PM
Default Why is my motor hard to turn over after rebuild?

Soo guys I decided to buy a 1995 Honda civic dx coupe automatic, with a d15b7. I paid $350 for it. It ran but not very good. it was hard to start, smoked like a crack pipe and died every so often. it had 0 psi of compression in the middle 2 cylinders and "okay" compression in the others. It overheated too. Symptoms were showing a blown head gasket. So i took off the cylinder head and sure enough, the head gasket was blown by the middle 2 cylinders.. There was also a lot of movement in the pistons front to back in the cylinders so i ordered a re ring kit with a new head gasket and bearings and all kinds of other gaskets. I dropped the oil pan, took off the one piece cap assembly and took off the rod caps, pushed the pistons up, put new rings on them, put the rod bearings on, then put on the mains, put the pistons in with a little bit of oil all around, put a little bit of oil on the rod bearings and torqued them to 23 ft lbs. then i did the same with the mains, squirted a bit of oil on the main bearings, then put on the one piece cap assembly with the bearings in it, and torqued them to 33 ft lbs. put the oil pan back on, then got the head milled, because it was warped. I got the head and head gasket put on, then torqued the bolts in the correct sequence to 22 ft lbs. then went back in the same pattern and torqued them to 48 ft. lbs. Then I took off the rocker arm assembly and camshaft to change the plug tube seals. put on a new water pump and timing belt on (correct timing).. got everything buttoned up , changed oil filter, filled it with oil and coolant. i turn the key and it is harder than crap to turn over. like insanley hard. i have to have a torque wrench on the crankshaft pulley bolt with a big breaker pipe on it and i can almost stand on it. the starter bumps and the engine barely moves an inch every time i turn the key over, and sometimes it will turn over real slow and try to start. please help??!!