Honda Forum Help & Suggestion Center Need help with Honda Civic Forum? Ask. Have a suggestion to better HCF? Tell us here.

Wiring question about smart start sensor

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2023, 05:52 PM
Exclamation Wiring question about smart start sensor

Hi everyone! I have a question about my smart start assembly. I accidentally hit the sensor located in the trunk and knocked one of the leads off. This is the sensor for your smart key smart start so when you touch your key bob it can start the car, when you walk up to the car it automatically opens, and the same with your trunk. I have no idea why Honda’s engineered would attach the sensor component in the lid of the trunk, but I accidentally knocked it loose, So I took it into my local dealer and they told me there is no way in reattaching it and I would have to buy a whole new wiring harness and that would cost me about $2800 with all the labor it would take to take out all the back seats and reattach a new harness to my car. I have three questions here, has anyone have experience with this component and the factory attachment? Should USA Honda stand up and help fix this since it’s highly likely that this exposed component is in a storage area where accidents are bound to happen. Last, my dealer said I could claim it on my insurance since it was an accident, has anyone heard of this situation. I have a 2019 twin turbo accord and love it, but this threw a complete wrench in my day and killed my equity in the car unless I get it fixed. i appreciate any feed back.
Froggin7 with the broken Accord

Old 01-16-2023, 09:54 PM

Can you take a picture of the connector and the sensor. You may be able to repair it.

Old 01-17-2023, 04:00 PM

Old 01-17-2023, 08:14 PM

There's a pick tool you use to remove the wire and also to remove the pins. You can save the connector and it looks like you have enough room to attach the pins on the broken wire ends without having to splice in new wire,
If nothing else call a shop that installs aftermarket stuff. They will likely do it.

Old 01-17-2023, 09:29 PM

Thanks for the information. Do you think the dealership was out to ream me? So your saying the small blue pins pull out, the wire goes thru them and they attach to the opposite end of the pins and compression hold them into their respective slots?

Old 01-17-2023, 09:42 PM

Originally Posted by Froggin7
Thanks for the information. Do you think the dealership was out to ream me? So your saying the small blue pins pull out, the wire goes thru them and they attach to the opposite end of the pins and compression hold them into their respective slots?
You would need to spend more money on the tools to properly fix this than to have a shop do it for you.

Old 08-27-2023, 08:37 PM

Originally Posted by Froggin7
I do not think the dealership was trying to “ream” you in as much as they may typically just like to replace harness rather than repair it so it is more like it came from the factory. Price, however have no idea what has to be removed to replace a typical harness. Unless you have the tools and experience to repair I agree with grcauto about taking it to a shop.