Honda Marine Engines Information on the popular Honda engines in boat use.

2021 90hp outboard RPMs

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2022, 02:11 PM
Default 2021 90hp outboard RPMs

Hi! New here - I recently purchased a new bass boat and it came with a 90hp outboard motor. When I purchased it from the dealership, they informed me not to take my boat over 3500 RPMs for the first 10 hours of usage. And then gave me precise instructions on the breaking period of the motor. However upon taking it out for the first time, I noticed that the RPMs would not go past 2000. So over the course of the next few trips out I paid attention to the engine while running on plane, I noticed that the RPMs usually set between 1900 and 2000 at full throttle. Occasionally I have an issue where it feels like the engine runs out of gas for a second and stalls and then comes back to full installs and back to full installs, and I have to actually turn the engine off turn it back on and make sure that the bulb has pumped fuel into the engine in order for it to not do that. What I have noticed is that it typically only happens and choppy water win the fuel is being moved around a lot. anyways, I have double checked the prop pitch, and it is the correct prop for the engine. I have looked to see if it seems low on oil, or is burning oil, and I am not seeing either things. The impeller seems to be running just fine, and I am not getting any sort of overheating warning sign or smoke. I do not recall what the RPMs reach when I rev the engine in idol, but I do know it does NOT choke out or die when I do rev the RPMs. The only thing I can point at as far as what seems to be the issue is that I have used in expensive low grade fuel instead of high-octane premium. If anyone else is having this issue, please let me know. The boat has less than 10 hours on the outboard. Thanks for your time….all help is welcome!