Honda Scooters Information on Honda's economical scooters.

05 ch80 not running, brand new to scooters

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2022, 11:51 AM
Default Headlight only works while engine is running

Originally Posted by CltnTroxell
Hey everyone,
I just picked up a ch80 honda elite. I love the look of it and am excited to mess around with it.

I picked it up not running. I was told that the spark plug was over tightened and stripped... I was told there was a small oil leak and other than that it was fine.

I put it on the charger overnight at home. When it is on the charger the horn, brake light, and signal lights work. I can't get the headlight to turn on... When I try to start it the it sounds like an electric motor that won't turn (like if you hold a drill and pull the trigger, it's trying but won't move). When I take the charger off I can't get it to even try to start, no sound or anything. Off the charger the signal lights and horn won't work either, just get some minor clicks like it's trying. When I check the battery it shows 13+ volts...

I know I want to inspect the starter relay, starter motor, and rotate the crankshaft to figure how to get things moving but what is up with nothing working when I take the charger off?

Once I get it running I'll get it registered and back on the road. It is missing a for plastic covers that I'll need but I want to get it running first.

Any thoughts would be appreciated. I downloaded the service manual but its no help with the battery issue.

Thank you!
with the charger attached, key on, did you try to kick it? If the starter isn’t good or weak battery, you can use the kick starter. This will also help determine if the engine turns freely. New batteries are cheap and then you’ll know you have good connections and plenty of power

Old 12-31-2022, 03:50 PM

My earlier CH80 had neither a kickstarter nor a compression release...

Old 12-31-2022, 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by SuperHarry
with the charger attached, key on, did you try to kick it? If the starter isn’t good or weak battery, you can use the kick starter. This will also help determine if the engine turns freely. New batteries are cheap and then you’ll know you have good connections and plenty of power
Originally Posted by garicao
My earlier CH80 had neither a kickstarter nor a compression release...
This is over a year old.