New Member Area New to HF? Stop in tell us about yourself.

Fun With DPF's

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2022, 07:34 AM
Default Fun With DPF's

Hi recently been looking at forums to see what the deal is with DPF filters as there does not to be a lot out there this came to a head when I had to have a deep purge carried out by my local Honda dealer after doing very few miles since its last purge.
After the last purge I kept an eye open for the stage 1 purge and also took my car out for long runs for no other reason than to try and reduce the impact caused by abnormal ie 2.5 miles to work an back (now trying to walk it!) .

With not a lot of detail out there I sent Mr H a letter ,they did acknowledge it and replied.
"Thank you for contacting Honda (UK).

Naturally as a Manufacturer we pride ourselves on our well-known reputation for reliability, so we were sorry to learn of your concerns regarding the DPF on your Honda Accord with registration number: KE12BUS.

I have had the opportunity to thoroughly investigate your concerns further and have now spoken with Holdcroft Honda, Cobridge at great length to understand this matter. The service team there have confirmed that having had the opportunity to inspect your product they have been unable to diagnose or find a manufacturing defect with the DPF warning light and have advised you that whether the light will come on depends on the driving style.

We rely on our dealerships for technical information, updates and guidance when dealing with customer cases and without a confirmed diagnosis from a Honda Approved Dealership we are unable to assist further.

As your vehicle is outside of the Manufacturer’s Warranty, we are under no obligation to offer support.

We carefully consider every request and assess each case on its own merit, and I must respectfully advise that, due to the age of the vehicle, we would be unable to assist you towards the cost of repair on this occasion.

Please be advised that the Diesel Particulate Filter is an exhaust component which is heavily affected by wear and tear, driving style, external influences, etc. Driving in heavy traffic – regular short commute, less than 20 miles each way; annual mileage less than 10,000 miles a year; driving at slower speeds for prolonged periods – average speed under 30 mph are a few of the reasons that may lead to a replacement of the DPF filter being required.

Furthermore, according to our official records, your vehicle lacks a full Honda Service History which is essential when we are considering offering any kind of support towards the cost of a repair.

My take on this reply is:-

“Please be advised that the Diesel Particulate Filter is an exhaust component which is heavily affected by wear and tear, driving style, external influences, etc. Driving in heavy traffic – regular short commute, less than 20 miles each way; annual mileage less than 10,000 miles a year; driving at slower speeds for prolonged periods – average speed under 30 mph are a few of the reasons that may lead to a replacement of the DPF filter being required.”

Basically if you are doing less than 10,000 miles a year, and your journey is over 20 miles and can be completed at average speeds above 30mph. expect to have issues with your DPF filter.

To put this in context

Government figures for 2021

https://www.gov.uk/government/statis...-to-march-2021

On the Strategic Road Network (SRN) for the year ending March 2021, the average delay is estimated to be 5.9 seconds per vehicle per mile compared to speed limits travel times, a 36.6% decrease compared to the year ending March 2020.

The average speed is estimated to be 62.6mph, 6.3% up on the year ending March 2020.

On local ‘A’ roads for the year ending March 2021, the average delay is estimated to be 32.0 seconds per vehicle per mile compared to free flow travel times. This is a decrease of 26.8% on March 2020.

The average speed is estimated to be 27.8 mph. This is an increase of 9.9% relative to the year ending March 2020.

Could not find goverment figures but car insurances appear to work on for 2021

https://www.nimblefins.co.uk/cheap-c...car-mileage-uk

Average Car Mileage UK

In 2020, the average car in the UK drove 6,800 miles—down 8% from 2019 and down 26% from 9,200 miles in 2002. British motorists drive less now, primarily driven by a drop in business driving and private driving. Clearly the drop from 2019 to 2020 reflects the impact of the pandemic lockdown.

Commuting mileage had held steady at 2,700 miles a year on average per car from 2002 to 2019, but dropped to 2,400 miles a year in 2020. From 2002 to 2020, business mileage plummeted 85% from 1,300 to 200 miles per year. Private mileage only dropped 7% from 2019 to 2020. This means commuting and business miles were impacted the most by the pandemic lockdown; private miles less so.

Change in UK Driving Habits

Business Miles

Commuting Miles

Other Private Miles

Average Total Miles

The average car journey for these cars is 8.4 miles long.

[img]file:///C:/Users/KELVIN~1.KEY/AppData/Local/Temp/msohtmlclip1/01/clip_image002.jpg[/img]

UK motorists are driving less, especially for business

During a time when cars are being driven less and less, it's interesting to note that the number of cars licensed in the UK has continued to rise steadily—so while the mileage per car has dropped, you could argue that as a country we are driving more.

Average Mileage per Day, Week, Month and Year

How much do we drive per day, week or month? On a daily basis, cars in the UK drive an average of 20 miles a day, 142 miles a week, 617 miles a month and 7,400 miles a year.

Average Car Mileage per Day, Week, Month and Year

Per Day

Per Week

Per Month

Average Total Miles per car

I am afraid that it does mean we are on our own, for being so short sighted.

It is worrying but you could assume that the all new HR-V Hybrid will be similarly slighted if and when any car that contains an engine is prevented from going into cities, and Honda will probably tell the hybrid owners they should have bought the non-existent full electric version. Like I was told I should have bought the non-existent petrol type S version of my car.

Aplogies that the formatting got messed up but hopefully it sort of makes sense