New Member Area New to HF? Stop in tell us about yourself.

Melted 3rd break light...Help!

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2020, 12:34 PM
Default Melted 3rd break light...Help!

Hello everyone,

A couple of weeks ago I opened the trunk of my 2019 Honda Civic Sport Sedan and noticed a broken bulb hanging low that I had not noticed before...when I looked under the top of the trunk I noticed that the plastic part that holds the bulb was melted! I suppose this bulb is for the 3rd break light because it’s not working...I took it to Honda and expected it to be repaired under warranty but I was told that it did not qualify for repair under warranty because it was damage made by me and not a manufacturer error, since all the parts seemed to be working fine..they claim that I must have had something in my trunk that knocked the light out which caused it to heat up the plastic and then break..this is simply not the case! I don’t foresee how anything I’ve ever had in my trunk would have so much force to dislodge that bulb! But say even if I did have some sort of bag or box in there that moved around, there is no way that the bag would have hit socket of the bulb in such a particular way and force that would have unlocked it with a twisting motion and then yanked it out..if it had been directly forced out without unlocking it, there would also be damage to the socket which is not the case. Could anyone help me figure out what could have happened? My theory is that when I purchased the car last year, the bulb was not installed correctly and was not locked into place, so while I’ve been using it this past year, the bulb became dislodged and then became hot enough to break and melt the plastic. I’ve talked to the manager at this Honda and he basically told me that there is nothing they can do for me and that I would have to pay about $500 to get it repaired. He said that if it would have been a workmanship error, I would have come in to get it repaired shortly after purchasing the vehicle and not 9,000 miles in..Im thinking about contacting customer service about this but was hoping I could get some advice first. Thank you in advance for any feedback!!!!

Old 11-08-2020, 10:19 PM
Super Moderator

welcome to the forum. you can get a hold of American Honda and file a complaint. info should be in the back of your owners manual. car seems to be too new to have a failure like that.