New Member Area New to HF? Stop in tell us about yourself.

New guy with a question (re: Honda Buyback Program)

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2009, 10:05 AM
Question New guy with a question (re: Honda Buyback Program)

Hi. I'm Neal and I'm new.

I'm in Virginia's Shenandoah Valley.

I own a 2008 Civic LX w/38,000 miles on it (I drive about 120 miles per day round trip commute).

Here's my question:

I received a "We don't have enough used cars, so we want to buy your 2008 Civic LX......" Yes, I know the dealer is doing this just to get me into the showroom and generate showroom traffic, etc..., but is it really worth me to do this?

The only way I would do this is if I can do an "even trade". I don't want to put down any more money (can't afford to) and the payment has to be exactly the same as it is right now (or less, but not a penny more).

My car is in EXCELLENT condition. I take very good care of it. It has the normal wear associated with a car that has 38,000 miles on it.

My car also has the performance package (pinstripes, mud flaps, etc...). I also have the extended warranty (100,000 miles) and I also have VIN Etching. So, can I really expect to get a 2010 out of this deal??

Thank you in advance.
-Neal

Old 11-19-2009, 08:24 AM
Super Moderator

welcome to the forum. No generally it is not worth it. no such thing as an even trade unless the dealer is closing shop. if you have a car all paid off you can get a no money down, if paid down lots like 20k cost and 10k down perhaps yes. payment to be same or less would be for you to have a 08 completely paid off. You will only get "trade in value" top end. yes with money down or your car paid down lots, and or purchase a DX model. Keep your car, it is being paid down. the dealer wants your money. The dealer always wins, even if you can purchase the new on at invoice + 500 out the door. And you better know how to do this. Any questions on buying, email me acmech52@yahoo.com

Old 11-19-2009, 09:41 AM

Thank you for the feedback. Yes, I am not expecting a great deal, especially since I still owe on the Civic.

Next Friday is "Black Friday" and there's not anything else to do (unless I want to go out with all the other crazy people at Best Buy, Walmart, etc...). Maybe I'll go test drive an Insight. I've never driven a hybrid.

Old 11-20-2009, 02:50 AM
Super Moderator

Info only. The hybrid ( battery car ) is good for level roads, mild hills, My friend drives his into work when I carpool with him, and he gets 70+ miles going down hill to work. when we come home, it drops to 30-40 up hill, average 40 mpg. It does have pwr to climb the hill with no problem. The natural gas car is good if you only go to and from work or around town. Natural gas can be purchased at airports and schools, and when you go into passing gear, it drives like the fit, and lx-ex models only. The Fit which has a 1.5 117 hp carries more bulk items then a civic, saves gas, can fit 6ft persons easy, can put plasma screen in, will carry 4x4x8ft lumber, I have had 5 people in the cabin and still goes up the hill good ( I-15 Cahon Pass ).70+ . The SI is a good strong power house, with 192 hp. Just depends on what you're looking for, fuel economy or power, or cabin room. Fit runs about 14,500 5 sp. the sport is more but has paddle shifters and rims and body kit.

Old 11-20-2009, 10:14 AM

Thank you.

I'm not interested in a Fit. No offense to Fit owners. It's a nice car. I actually was considering it prior to getting my Civic. I test drove a Fit and it just wasn't for me.