Odyssey Forum This minivan is among the class leaders thanks to its roomy interior and powerful engine offerings.

Map Light

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2014, 05:10 PM
Default Map Light

Hello. I'm new to this forum.
My wife owns a 2012 Odyssey Touring Elite with added dealer installed options, remote starter being one of them.

The map light in the second row passenger's side will not dim out after closing door. All the other lights will. Also, all the other lights have a middle dim allowing them to shut off. The map light that will not shut off no longer has that middle dim when you click the lens. I brought it to a local dealership from whom I did not purchase the vehicle. I waited more than 2 hours to be told that they did not diagnose the problem. The service manager feels that it is the remote starter causing the problem though he doesn't know for sure. He told me that to determine if that is the problem the remote starter will have to be disconnected at my cost. They will not attempt to diagnose any other possible problem without doing that first. He instructed to bring the car back to where it was purchased, 125 miles from my home.

I spoke with service where I purchased it and the manager there was appalled that the local dealership hassled me. I spoke with the manufacturer of the remote starter who claims that model does not connect to the dome lighting in the car.

I spoke with Honda U.S.A. and was told they respect the first dealership's answer and that I will have to be charged. I asked her why couldn't the dealership simply diagnose the electrical system. To me it seems like all it needs is a new switch as the dim does not work on that switch. I asked Honda to let me speak with a regional tech rep, she claims Honda doesn't have regional tech reps they only rely on the dealership's service and respects their decision. The car is less than 2 years old with 18,000 miles.

Also the car locks will not unlock after placing it in park. I followed the manual and it will not work. The local dealership worked on it twice and both times it worked for a day but just reverted back.

Any advice would be appreciated but I believe I may seek out the attorney general's office in my state.