Odyssey Forum This minivan is among the class leaders thanks to its roomy interior and powerful engine offerings.

Power Window Regulator/Switch Issue

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2011, 09:14 PM
Default Power Window Regulator/Switch Issue

I have a '98 Honda Odyssey van, and I'm hoping you can help me solve a problem.

Over the past few months, on a few occasions, my left-front window stuttered on its say up. Then--all of a sudden--after putting the window down, it would not go back up. I kept pulling the switch, but to no avail.

I took it to a mechanic. He said it could either be the switch or the regulator.

He tested the switch, and said that was not the problem. He told me that my regulator was bent and my motor was dead. He ordered new parts from Honda and he installed them.

When I came to pick up the car, he told me that I must have had a problem with the switch before. I told him I did not have a problem with the switch. He showed me that now the window will go up and down, but in order to get the window to go up, you have to press the switch in a funny way (like there is a bad contact in the switch). He said he would call around to salvage yards to see if he can find a new master switch.

So here is my question: Is it really possible that my switch, motor, and regulator were all broken? Is it possible that he installed the regulator or motor poorly and that is causing the problem? Is it possible that all I needed was a new switch?

Thanks for any advice you can provide.

Old 03-11-2011, 07:28 AM

Welcome to the forum,It's hard to say without seeing it,generaly the most common problem with electric windows is the switch going bad with use,it sounds like the way you describe the manner in which you have to push the switch to get it to work that there could possibly be a loose contact or ground out,I would pull the switch panel off and check the connections and the wiring for worn spots or breaks.If this doesn't help you may need a new switch,I have seen used ones on Ebay pretty cheap.What you may want to do is hook just that window up to a simple toggle switch to test it to see if it is the master switch.Good luck,Bobby