Odyssey Forum This minivan is among the class leaders thanks to its roomy interior and powerful engine offerings.

Starting Relay 2001 Odyssey

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2022, 06:03 PM
Default Starting Relay 2001 Odyssey

Hello fellow enthusiastic Odyssey owners,
I'm having trouble with my Odyssey 2001 EX with a no crank, no start issue. I did most of the basic check to include the battery and wiring. I also confirmed the 12V that is available going to the B terminal of the starter as well as the 12V going to the S (signal) terminal when I cranked the ignition key. They all checked out good.
I would like to take reading on my starter relay but I didn't locate the relay itself. Yes, I already checked under the driver side, and removed the panel (all I see are the fuses). I also checked the passenger side and engine compartment...I can't seem to find it. However, going back under the driver side, there is a box besides the fuses... not sure if should I tinker and open the box (well, I did tried but unsuccessful removing the cover)
Maybe some expert can guide me as to where to find the starter relay. Kindly advise and thanks.
Maggy

Old 02-15-2022, 01:04 AM

Why are you looking for the starter relay?
Having 12 volts at the solenoid when the key is turned to the crank position means the relay is working.
Only thing needed to check now is that there is a proper ground for the engine block.
Test light to battery positive and probe on engine block. If it lights up then good ground.
Having good power and ground on starter motor plus power to solenoid means the starter should crank engine
If it does not then starter is suspect. Bench testing is not the same as having it in the vehicle (no load).
Good luck

Old 02-15-2022, 08:43 AM

Avistor,
Thanks for the responding. I'm almost positive that I have a defective starter, however, I still have this final trick on my sleeve to jump start the starter using the relay. Anyway, I already did the ground test and it yielded a good result. I still going crazy locating the starter relay.

Old 02-15-2022, 05:06 PM

Does anyone know where the exact location of the the starting relay for 2001 Honda Odyssey? If you were to tell me it's under the driver side, left panel..... it's not there. I already reviewed numerous you tube video of the location and mostly were pointing at the said location(under the driver side). Believe me, I'm going crazy looking for it and to this day, no luck! Help please.
Maggy

Old 02-15-2022, 11:37 PM

Searched the web and all indications are it is on the left side of the driver's seat, under the dash. Some show the side panel taken out to see the fuse box. Then the starter cut relay should be in the vicinity. But, the relay is working if you are getting 12 volts at the starter solenoid. Jumping the pins on the socket to see if the starter will crank is the same as using the key to do it when the relay is working. Should replace the starter. Good luck.