Odyssey Forum This minivan is among the class leaders thanks to its roomy interior and powerful engine offerings.

Strange repeating battery load, key off.

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2024, 08:15 PM
Cool Strange repeating battery load, key off.

I was looking for the cause of my flat battery. I monitored the battery amperage output with key off. It would go from 0.3A to 12.0A for three seconds, then return to 0.3A for about 27 seconds, and then repeat, continuously! At first I thought perhaps it was a computer thing.

I rigged a meter shunt between the battery negative post and the negative cable, and put a mv meter across the shunt. Then I put the meter on the hood where I could read it from the driver's seat. I then measured mv with another meter across each fuse, till I found one that matched the weird timing.

Turns out it was the fuse for the left rear window motor. Apparently the up relay is welded, and the window is trying to go up all the time. I never noticed the the window was not working. So the thermal in the stalled drive motor trips, cools, and resets, twice a minute. Meanwhile the battery is depleted quickly.

I haven't fixed it yet, but I am confident it is the relay in the sliding door armrest. I will change out both on the left and both on the right side if I can. Meanwhile the fuse remains out.

Last edited by Vantasy; 01-28-2024 at 08:17 PM.
Old 02-02-2024, 08:47 AM

That is fantastic troubleshooting. So now what? Replace the relay?

Old 02-02-2024, 10:44 AM

Originally Posted by avisitor
That is fantastic troubleshooting. So now what? Replace the relay?
The armrest in the left rear door holds the switches and the up and down relays in one module. I have a new replacement one ordered from eBay for about 15 bucks. I have not proven the relay wrong but will wait till I get the new unit and will follow up here later. Thank you.
Interestingly, the drain would not have happened if the child window lockout was engaged. In my case, I have the passengers lockout switch bypassed because the switch failed, so it is in permissive on the other windows.

Last edited by Vantasy; 02-02-2024 at 10:34 PM.
Old 03-22-2024, 05:43 PM

It took a long time to get the relay from China. I had to carefully solder wick the joints on the old circuit board, replaced the relay, but no go. I didn't bother trouble shooting the situation, I did buy a replacement window control switch module from eBay. But even though the one I got was listed for my year, but was not a fit. So I had to use a Dremel tool and epoxy to cannibalize the old modulw so to adapt the new module to fit the old escutcheon plate. It's works now, you wouldn't be able to tell unless you took it apart.
The module is secure. And the window works, and the recurring load has stopped.
Task complete.

Old 03-22-2024, 09:58 PM

Originally Posted by Vantasy
It took a long time to get the relay from China. I had to carefully solder wick the joints on the old circuit board, replaced the relay, but no go. I didn't bother trouble shooting the situation, I did buy a replacement window control switch module from eBay. But even though the one I got was listed for my year, but was not a fit. So I had to use a Dremel tool and epoxy to cannibalize the old modulw so to adapt the new module to fit the old escutcheon plate. It's works now, you wouldn't be able to tell unless you took it apart.
The module is secure. And the window works, and the recurring load has stopped.
Task complete.
Good job. I was thinking the relay was likely being triggered by a module fault but I probably would have done the same if the module was costly.