Pilot Forum This mid sized SUV offers the towing capacity of a small truck, with the interior room of an SUV.

06 Pilot- 5/6 Cylinders misfiring

Old 06-16-2017, 07:09 PM
Default 06 Pilot- 5/6 Cylinders misfiring

Hi all,

Thanks for taking the time to post. I have a 2006 Honda Pilot with 86K miles that I recently bought at an auction with CEL, throwing misfire for all except one cylinder. I have replaced all spark plugs, the ignition coils look fine, replaced EGR valve, and EGR ports are very clean. After talking with my mechanic, he said now it can either be the crank sensor or bad fuel pump, or even a clogged catalytic converter. He suggested I dump lacquer thinner and fill gas tank to full as possible solution to clean the clogged cat. I have done so, and so far after 140 miles no problems despite alot of people being very skeptical about the idea online. Waiting it out till I clear the tank of gas and seeing if that did the trick.

The car randomly displays the check engine light, and in one if it's time frames where the check engine light did not show, it passed inspection with flying colors just to come up again about a week later.

Was wondering if anyone else has had these same/similar circumstances with their pilot, and possible solutions that fixed their multiple cylinder misfire. Thanks again for taking time to read post and possibly help out.

Old 06-20-2017, 06:31 AM

Welcome in,it could also be the injectors fouling,if the car sat a long period of time it's possible water from condensation built up,now that the tank has been cleared by adding the thinner that could have solved the issue ,I would add a bottle of seafoam to a full tank and see if that helps,good luck.

Old 06-20-2017, 05:27 PM

Is your Pilot using oil? smoking on accelleration? Ive seen a bunch of the Pilots and Accords with the VCM 6 cylinders have issues with the Piston oil ring not sealing well on the 5-6 cylinders.. ( these two cylinders are shut down during VCM operation) and usually has a few codes stored showing misfires..

hope that helps