Pilot Forum This mid sized SUV offers the towing capacity of a small truck, with the interior room of an SUV.

2019 Pilot Touring intermittently won’t start

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2019, 02:27 PM
Default 2019 Pilot Touring intermittently won’t start

Looking to see if anyone else is experiencing the same problems we are...

my my wife and I bought this pilot in March of 2019. It is currently the end of May, the vehicle has only 3700 miles on it, and in the past 7 days, 3 times this vehicle has not started. Press your foot on the brake, push the start button, all normal lights come on, radio comes on but won’t start. Second time it did this, it threw all kinds of errors, not codes like the check engine light will, but errors spelled out on the instrument panel. Lane departure midication system error, towing error etc. it’s been at the dealership for 2 days now and they are saying they cannot get it to fail and the battery, alternator and starter all check out ok. I’m not a auto mechanic by trade, but I know my way around vehicles. It seems like it’s not recognizing that I’m actually applying the brake so it doesn’t want to start, but I absolutely am. After a couple of cycles it may or may not start. Anyone have any ideas? Feel like there is maybe a grounding issue or something, but with all of the electronics in the vehicle, it could be anything.

any fees back is much appreciated

Old 05-29-2019, 08:45 PM

Advice is to take video of this failure
Then present it to dealer
If they can not fix it then mention lemon law
Maybe get a different vehicle??

If you feel that the vehicle is not sensing the brake pedal then look at the brake pedal to see if the switch is being operated
If you feel the electronics is wonky then take video, get proof, make a case, complain to Honda, complain to government (maybe someone else has your problem)
If many people have this issue then could be class action???
Nothing will get done if you just let it go

Sorry, but when one spends so much money on a new vehicle then it should work right.

Last edited by avisitor; 05-29-2019 at 08:48 PM.
Old 05-29-2019, 09:25 PM

Yeah, I will absolutely get video footage of it when we get it back if they do not find anything wrong with it. With it still being at the dealership, I check in on my way home from work to see if then have figured anything out. The service writer mentioned to me the his evening that it was going to be going to a “master technician” to have them dive in further. It has to be something odd like the mechanical brake switch, or a loose ground wire or something. When we bought it we had them add the factory heated steering wheel option so in my opinion, they need to dive back into that and see if something is messed up there.

thank you for your input, every idea and thought helps. I will keep pushing them to try and help figure out what is actually going on because you’re absolutely right, we as consumers pay way to much for the product we buy to have it malfunction.

Old 06-27-2019, 12:21 PM

Well, well, well. Exact same problem here. I bought the car in March 2019. First case at the dealer, they checked the battery and sent me home. The stated problem happened 4 more times where my wife had to wait sometimes hours for it to start again. So I took it to the dealer again but of course, they can't duplicate it. It's now been at the dealer for the third day. I have a video which they are reviewing. So far they have found nothing.

I bought the vehicle in Orange County, California. It was built in Alabama.

Last edited by obrian; 06-27-2019 at 01:02 PM.
Old 06-27-2019, 12:51 PM

Could you provide info on how you got this problem resolved and what dealer handled this issue? I'd like to provide my dealer the info so they can do the right thing.

Old 06-28-2019, 09:58 AM

Problem is still yet to be resolved...it’s happened time and time again. I have noticed that when it doesn’t start, the brake pedal is very stiff and hard to depress while trying to start. Almost as if something is running while the car is turned off, but is causing pressure to build in the brake system. I also took video of this problem happening. We were also getting a warning on the information center on the dash saying “low battery check all lighting switches”. I also received one saying “brake system failure”. The last time we took it to the dealership which was June 10 2019 and it failed in there service bay and wouldn’t start for them to move the vehicle. Of course, now that it’s there problem they immediately drag 6 mechanics over to start diagnostics on the vehicle. They said the battery was totally dead. The did replaces the battery at that time and everything worked as normal. The tech did say that “it would most likely happen again because there are far to much electronics running in this vehicle. If you don’t start or drive the car at least every other day it will happen”. I explained to him that we do drive it....but if we take it to airport to catch a plane for a vacation or something, that we should be ok with expecting to come home to a dead battery? We picked it up the following day on June 11 and since then, it’s failed to start again, and also had a very stiff pedal again. However if we pushed the pedal to the floor with higher force, the car would start and not give a low battery warning. I might add that our vehicle currently only has 4,200 miles on it. The GM of our dealership is working with us in this and claims if they can’t fix what ever this problem is, he will replace the vehicle because it is so new. The problem all started at about 3,500 miles. So we will see in the next couple weeks if it kills this battery also...

we we purchased our vehicle in cincinnati Ohio, quite a distance from you, however I’m not sure where they actually manufacture the pilots. Stay in touch with me on here with your experiences as I will do the same with you....

Old 06-28-2019, 10:28 AM

Jenkso11, thanks for replying! So my car is now on its fifth day at the dealer's service dept. They said they ordered a "new unit" for my key. Your dealer and mine are going into different directions. We have a pretty good relationship with this dealer since we bought our previous car (2014 Pilot) there and did all the maintenance there too. I'm trusting they are doing what they can with the info they have. My dealer is Weir Canyon Honda in Yorba Linda, CA. If your dealer finds a solution, please share the dealer's name so I can have my service dept contact them.

My last 6 digits of the VIN is B007453. B stands for the plant where it was assembled and the next 5 will determine the assembly order.

Old 06-28-2019, 10:46 AM

Our last digits are B008930 and my dealership info is performance Honda
5676 Dixie Hwy
Fairfield, OH 45014
United States

maybe have your dealership call them and see if they can’t collaborate together and figure something out. Like I said it absolutely failed while at there shop so maybe they have more Info. Hopefully with our powers combined from across the country we can get some sort of resolution

keep in Touch

Old 07-09-2019, 12:37 PM

My dealer ordered a part for the key fob with eta of July 13. I'll update once I hear what exactly in the key fob they think it's causing this intermittent issue. I have not gotten the explanation yet.

Old 07-09-2019, 02:44 PM

Alright, sounds good to me! We have only had a couple stiff brake pedal days and one day where it wouldn’t start right away. But again, push harder on the brake pedal and it started. So far no more “low battery” warnings on the dash. But definitely let me know what they say

Quick Reply: 2019 Pilot Touring intermittently won’t start