Pilot Forum This mid sized SUV offers the towing capacity of a small truck, with the interior room of an SUV.

2019 Pilot Touring intermittently won’t start

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2021, 08:17 AM

Sorry, have no experience with Pilot

Is this a push button to start engine??
Then stiff brake pedal may be preventing the brake switch from working properly.
Check to see if the brake lights turn on when this no start issue happens

Dead battery sounds like a parasitic drain
When everything is suppose to be off, there is something that is still drawing enough current to drain the battery.
Don't know but would test for it.

Old 03-21-2022, 06:19 PM
Default Any update?

Originally Posted by obrian
My dealer ordered a part for the key fob with eta of July 13. I'll update once I hear what exactly in the key fob they think it's causing this intermittent issue. I have not gotten the explanation yet.

So I am now having the same issue. It got to a point where I had to get my car towed. Before if I waited like 10 or 15 minutes then the car would start. Took the car to the dealership. At first they said there was no issue. After getting the car towed to them they said I need a new battery eventho the battery passed the test. I tried to show them these post and the video of my issue with all the errors I get but they won't listen. They told me that getting those errors are normal in a new car if your battery is bad. Altho battery tested fine. I ended up having to purchase a new battery from them but I don't think that will resolve my issue. Do you have any updates ? Any help would be much appreciated.

Old 10-29-2022, 08:19 AM

I had the same problem with my 2019 Honda Pilot. Stopped to get gas and could not restart. All the lights came on bit the car would not start. It kept asking me to press the brake and hit the button. After four tries, it finally started. The brake was still. It finally went down. It wasn’t until after it went down that I was able to get the car to start. Unfortunately, I have 35,000 miles on it and it is not relatively new.

Old 05-25-2023, 07:22 PM
Default My Honda auto start stops working in the middle of traffic.

The research I read says to FIRST check the brake booster pressure sensor. Sometimes the hose is loose. I am taking my 2016 Honda Pilot to the dealership tomorrow after getting stuck in traffic for one hour waiting for AAA. By that time the battery was dead because of the hazard lights. They will probably tell me I need a new battery ! ! ! We'll see???

Originally Posted by Jenkso11
Looking to see if anyone else is experiencing the same problems we are...

my my wife and I bought this pilot in March of 2019. It is currently the end of May, the vehicle has only 3700 miles on it, and in the past 7 days, 3 times this vehicle has not started. Press your foot on the brake, push the start button, all normal lights come on, radio comes on but won’t start. Second time it did this, it threw all kinds of errors, not codes like the check engine light will, but errors spelled out on the instrument panel. Lane departure midication system error, towing error etc. it’s been at the dealership for 2 days now and they are saying they cannot get it to fail and the battery, alternator and starter all check out ok. I’m not a auto mechanic by trade, but I know my way around vehicles. It seems like it’s not recognizing that I’m actually applying the brake so it doesn’t want to start, but I absolutely am. After a couple of cycles it may or may not start. Anyone have any ideas? Feel like there is maybe a grounding issue or something, but with all of the electronics in the vehicle, it could be anything.

any fees back is much appreciated

Old 06-22-2023, 09:48 PM
Default Engine cuts out at stoplights and can’t restart

Hey! My 2019 Pilot has intermittently shut off at stop lights and stop signs. I have been shutting off the auto-restart feature when I remember so that it won’t do it. However, since I bought my car in 2019, I have had it in the shop for not restarting a few times. Each time I have been told my battery is almost dead and needs to be replaced. First time it happened the car was under warranty, but the the second time, I had to buy a $350 battery. It seems this is happening about every 2 years for me, which seems better than what some of you have experienced, but still is ridiculous! I have never heard of this with any other vehicle. So frustrated!