Pilot Forum This mid sized SUV offers the towing capacity of a small truck, with the interior room of an SUV.

2019 Pilot Touring intermittently won’t start

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2019, 11:12 AM

Hello Jenkso11. So I finally got my Pilot back on 7/27. They replaced the "wireless key unit". So far, no problems. They seem to be confident about this being the source of the problem. But if it ever happens again, I'll try your trick of pressing the brakes really hard. Thanks!

Old 08-12-2019, 01:21 PM

Just reading this thread for the first time after my wife had trouble starting her 2019 Pilot today. The info screen 'said' '"Bring keyfob closer to button" or something like that. The car started after a few more tries but I'm wondering if this is a similar problem to yours and we're going to need a new "wireless key unit" in the near future. I'll make sure she takes a video next time this happens. Our Pilot has 8k miles on it. Purchased in Jan 2019.

Old 10-09-2019, 04:12 AM

I have the same problem. Who has got brief, do you have any legal statement from producer?

Old 10-30-2019, 04:33 PM
Default ,low battery light on start

My 2019 Pilot purchased in February 2019 has started showing low battery light on start. The car will start by pressing harder on the break peddel. This is unsettling because you never know if it start. Please let me know of any solution has been found.

Last edited by Ozark99; 10-30-2019 at 04:37 PM.
Old 10-30-2019, 05:46 PM

I purchased my 2019 Pilot in January and the battery went completely dead in May. Honda replaced it and I've had no trouble since. Mine wouldn't start on a couple of occations prior to replacing the battery but no problems starting it since the battery was replaced. The dealer didn't have an explanation for the battery dying so quickly but said they'd seen it before.

Old 10-30-2019, 07:42 PM

Thanks RCC. I'll check my battery out.

Old 03-24-2021, 06:44 AM
Default Same exact issues!!!

Originally Posted by Jenkso11
Looking to see if anyone else is experiencing the same problems we are...

my my wife and I bought this pilot in March of 2019. It is currently the end of May, the vehicle has only 3700 miles on it, and in the past 7 days, 3 times this vehicle has not started. Press your foot on the brake, push the start button, all normal lights come on, radio comes on but won’t start. Second time it did this, it threw all kinds of errors, not codes like the check engine light will, but errors spelled out on the instrument panel. Lane departure midication system error, towing error etc. it’s been at the dealership for 2 days now and they are saying they cannot get it to fail and the battery, alternator and starter all check out ok. I’m not a auto mechanic by trade, but I know my way around vehicles. It seems like it’s not recognizing that I’m actually applying the brake so it doesn’t want to start, but I absolutely am. After a couple of cycles it may or may not start. Anyone have any ideas? Feel like there is maybe a grounding issue or something, but with all of the electronics in the vehicle, it could be anything.

any fees back is much appreciated

I am having it towed to the dealership this morning. My 2019 pilot left me stranded. My 2005 pilot never did this, ever! Thank goodness it’s still under warranty.

Old 09-18-2021, 08:18 AM
Default honda 2019 Pilot won't start

Same problem this year. Happened twice . brought to dealer they kept it for two weeks. Had master technician on it . Happened once to people who check in car when they went to move it. Of course they said they never heard that. So riding in a two year old car with only 9000 miles on it. Have to unload the car. If anyone wants to start action against Honda let me know

Old 10-25-2021, 08:51 PM
Default Three Dead Batteries….

Hoping others who have posted on this thread can share if they’ve had any updates.

2019 Pilot purchased from Honda of Ocala, FL. Was used with approx 14k miles and we bought it 11/2020.

7/2021 - Car flickers and won’t start. Makes weird shutter noise. Brake pedal stiffens. We let it sit overnight and it starts fine next day.

8/26/2021 - Car won’t start after being driven home from work.

8/27/2021 - Car still won’t start. Have to get a jump from AAA. I took it to Autozone for a battery test. They said the battery was dead. Without thinking about my current battery being under warranty, I pay for a nicer new battery (Optima). Car won’t start with the new battery. They test it and it tests fine. The old battery also tested fine. I decided to keep the new battery anyways. I get another jump and drive to work, because I couldn’t take it to the dealership yet. When it’s time to leave and go to the dealership, the car starts fine.

8/28/2021 - The dealership calls and says the car is 100% fine. Alternator, starter, battery all tested fine.

10/7/2021 - The car won’t start. I take it to the dealership (Honda of Gainesville) and they say the NEW battery is dead. I insist that it was brand new and they just tested it for me a month ago. They insist it was a bad battery. I pick up the “dead” battery, go to the Autozone, and they swap for a brand new one since it’s under their warranty. A brand new optima battery that came out of the factory 9/2021 (a month old). I take the new battery to the dealership for them to run more tests.

10/12/2021 - After some poor service (where my rep tried to tell me I never brought him a new battery, because none of them communicated with each other), the dealership said they ran all of their tests with the new battery and that they were unable to replicate the issue.

10/25/2021 - Tonight I started the car (after my wife had driven it to work) and it flickered briefly and then started. We stopped to fill up for gas and it completely died at the gas station - no lights would even work. This is the third battery if you count the original Honda battery that wasn’t even three years old when I replaced it. We had AAA tow it to the dealership tonight so they can diagnose.

We do not leave it on without running at all (using accessory features), nor do we even use the extra accessories like the blu-ray player, etc. My wife drives approximately 40 highway miles/day for work, plus additional driving if we go out in the evenings.

We just took a trip to Orlando (approx 2 hours away) and drove back in the same day without issues.

This has become extremely frustrating for a new vehicle still under warranty. I am annoyed that I didn’t let Honda replace the first battery but I’ve never had a warranty that included the battery so it did not cross my mind. I don’t believe I should now have to pay for another Honda battery since the issue is clearly NOT the batteries, but likely to be something else.

Hoping that others who have posted before me can provide some insight on your issues and if any of your dealers were able to truly find resolutions that have worked long-term.

Sorry for such a long post. Thanks in advance to anyone who takes the time to read and respond.

Last edited by zawalter; 10-25-2021 at 08:54 PM.
Old 10-26-2021, 08:57 AM

I've got 55k on my 2019 pilot now. Within 9mo of new purchase the battery went dead. Honda replaced it under warranty and I've never had a problem with the battery since. As far as the car not starting, I have had that happen as recent as a month ago. It has always had to do with the ignition interlock through the brake pedal. Typically when this happens, the brake pedal is hard to depress and the car won't start. If I "stand" on the pedal to depress it slightly, the car starts right up. and the brake depresses as it should. I think there are situations where there is a back pressure in the brake system that causes this to happen but I've never figured out what exactly causes it. Honda must know about it because I'm sure others have complained but most of the time it doesn't happen when they have the car to debug. An aside. I recently discovered the passenger side carpet soaked when I removed the floor mat. I took it the dealer to have it checked out. After a day and a half of checking things they found the heater box was leaking. Dashboard would have to come out. $$$ My extended warranty won't cover water leaks. (worthless) My service rep took it upon himself to go to the Honda district rep. To my delight, Honda decided to cover the fix. Amazing! Very happy with my dealer reps handling of this and Honda for backing their product even out of standard warranty.

Quick Reply: 2019 Pilot Touring intermittently won’t start