Pilot Forum This mid sized SUV offers the towing capacity of a small truck, with the interior room of an SUV.

Grinding noise under hard acceleration at low speed

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2017, 09:45 PM
Default Grinding noise under hard acceleration at low speed

I have an 05 pilot with about 136k on it and we noticed this noise right before the timing belt and water pump service at 100k. We thought it could be a faulty tensioner but the mechanics didn't say anything about it and nothing changed. We took it to a different shop and thought it was a bad motor mount and causing the motor to rock back against the fire wall and vibrate . A motor mount was bad but it didn't fix the problem. Had the transmission serviced every 30 thousand and it always shifts fine. The noise is only evident at low speed situations where there is a lot of torque being put down like pulling out of an up hill drive way with 4 people on the car. Or taking off fast at a stop sign. It does not appear at higher rpms like down shifting on the highway or after about 30 mph. At low speed if you get into it, the noise willl stop just past 3500 rpm. If anyone could help we've been trying to figure out this problem for a while.

Old 11-23-2020, 01:40 PM
Default Scraping noise

Originally Posted by Jayg220
I have an 05 pilot with about 136k on it and we noticed this noise right before the timing belt and water pump service at 100k. We thought it could be a faulty tensioner but the mechanics didn't say anything about it and nothing changed. We took it to a different shop and thought it was a bad motor mount and causing the motor to rock back against the fire wall and vibrate . A motor mount was bad but it didn't fix the problem. Had the transmission serviced every 30 thousand and it always shifts fine. The noise is only evident at low speed situations where there is a lot of torque being put down like pulling out of an up hill drive way with 4 people on the car. Or taking off fast at a stop sign. It does not appear at higher rpms like down shifting on the highway or after about 30 mph. At low speed if you get into it, the noise willl stop just past 3500 rpm. If anyone could help we've been trying to figure out this problem for a while.
Jayg220 I am having this same problem with my 2011 pilot. Did you find out what the problem was?

Old 11-23-2020, 03:59 PM
Super Moderator

welcome to the forum. possible transmission noise, but have been told by a few pilot owners that the dealership has found a couple of tront end wheel bearings starting to fail. if possible, take a recording of the grinding sound, announce when making any turns, speed, when the noise occurs. this may help the tech. if they put it up on a hoist to run, they may hear it better.

Old 08-21-2021, 11:03 AM

Originally Posted by Tech611
Jayg220 I am having this same problem with my 2011 pilot. Did you find out what the problem was?
I'm having the same issue. 2007 Pilot with 215k miles. I replaced my transmission fluid about 8 weeks ago and only noticed this grinding noise about 5 weeks after. It's only apparent when accelerating from under 10mph to over 25mph. Acceleration above 30 mph is still smooth. I can feel the grinding below my feet when this is happening. Gear shifting doesn't feel like the issue specifically, just the acceleration. Any updates from your experiences?

Old 08-21-2021, 02:05 PM

Jack the car up and put jack stands under it, safety first.
Then block the wheel which are still touching the ground.
Put vehicle in neutral and spin the suspect wheel.
Listen for noise.
Also, put hands at 12 and 6 and check for play (looseness)
And hands at 9 and 3 and check for play