Ridgeline Forum This new truck, the first of it's kind from Honda, is likely to be a class leader with it's powerful engine and unique options both inside, and out.

Towing max weight trailer

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2019, 05:52 PM
Default Towing max weight trailer

I understand the towing capacity of the new Ridgeline is 5K lbs. I’m towing a C1 Corvette on an open trailer, about 5K lbs. I tow about five times a year for not over 200 miles a time. Im seeking information from anyone who might be doing similar towing with the new Ridgeline. I don’t want to challenge the towing max capacity but I believe with trailer brakes and careful driving I will be ok. I’m looking to the experts here to confirm or dispute, and thanks in advance. I would really like to get a new Ridgeline. Jim

Old 06-11-2019, 06:15 PM
Thumbs up 5K Lbs. Max

Jim, in all my limited engineering education and experience, Engineering maximum specs are mostly stated at 75% of the maximum capacity, weight rating, tensile , flexural, puncture, strength, etc. This puts the actual maximum towing weight at 6665 lbs.

You should be good to go. Also consider trailer tongue weight and expected road geography (hills, road surface quality like pot holes, and total travel distance.).

If the axle on your trailer can be adjusted laterally, you might want to load your 1st year Corvette on the trailer and measure the trailer tongue weight with a household scale. then check with trailer and towing experts to see the desired tongue weight pounds. If your trailer bed is long enough, you can experiment (on the tongue weight) with how far forward or backward you place the Vette on the trailer before strapping it down.

Congrats on owning a C1 … I have a C4 and contemplating a C7.

Old 06-11-2019, 07:03 PM

Originally Posted by H Watkins
Jim, in all my limited engineering education and experience, Engineering maximum specs are mostly stated at 75% of the maximum capacity, weight rating, tensile , flexural, puncture, strength, etc. This puts the actual maximum towing weight at 6665 lbs.

You should be good to go. Also consider trailer tongue weight and expected road geography (hills, road surface quality like pot holes, and total travel distance.).

If the axle on your trailer can be adjusted laterally, you might want to load your 1st year Corvette on the trailer and measure the trailer tongue weight with a household scale. then check with trailer and towing experts to see the desired tongue weight pounds. If your trailer bed is long enough, you can experiment (on the tongue weight) with how far forward or backward you place the Vette on the trailer before strapping it down.

Thanks for the comments. I am comfortable with your assessment and appreciated your confirmation of my thoughts. I owned a first generation Ridgeline and loved it. I plan on beginning my search for the right 2nd gen soon. Thanks again, Jim.

Old 06-11-2019, 08:33 PM

Jim, I considered all small pickups before purchasing my 2019 RTL-E one year and 1 month ago. My priorities were ride comfort and gas mileage. Looks was in there, too.
I have absolutely no regrets.
, but I must admit, that new Chevy Colorado looks pretty decent. I have no idea on the specs and reviews of that one.

Old 06-11-2019, 08:54 PM

Originally Posted by H Watkins

I don't have an engineering degree so I have questions.
Where does the figure 75% come in? Is that for all engineering designs?
I had believed that manufacturers rate things close to limits to save money
and also add a safety factor to prevent being blamed for small manufacturing defects
5K pounds will allow for 5K pounds plus wind resistance and some inclines??
Also, shouldn't the weight of the load be centered over the supporting wheels to provide the least side to side oscillation of the trailer??
I don't know ... just asking questions

Old 06-12-2019, 07:59 AM

Originally Posted by avisitor
I don't have an engineering degree so I have questions.
Where does the figure 75% come in? Is that for all engineering designs?
I had believed that manufacturers rate things close to limits to save money
and also add a safety factor to prevent being blamed for small manufacturing defects
5K pounds will allow for 5K pounds plus wind resistance and some inclines??
Also, shouldn't the weight of the load be centered over the supporting wheels to provide the least side to side oscillation of the trailer??
I don't know ... just asking questions
I’ve been reading and thinking a lot recently about the advantages and possible consequences of “maxing” out the towing capacity of the Ridgeline. I pulled the described trailer with a 1st generation R’line and had an unfortunate, failure to stop, event. Fortunately, no catastrophic results. I quickly acquired a F-150 and have no issues. As I began to review my “event”, I now concede that driver error and not R’line capacities was the basis for my issue. Bottom line is, I liked my 1st gen so that I am considering taking all precautions, adding better trailer brakes, removing all access weight from the trailer, etc, and driving more attentively to support my possibly questionable decision. I guess I was expecting diversified responses and each will provide valuable info. Thanks to all. I’ll let you know when I know. Jim

Old 06-12-2019, 11:33 AM

Thumbs up on the trailer brakes.

Old 06-13-2019, 07:48 PM

I have been towing for 52 years with out any problems,always check your max tow weight and stay as close as possible,inflate tires to max and always have the heavy part of the load near the hitch side,watch your speed and never forget your trailer when changing lanes. You should be ok.good luck.