CR-V Forum This compact SUV offers the usefulness of an SUV without the steep fuel bill thanks to the efficient yet powerful engine.

99 crv losing power

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2021, 03:03 PM
Default 99 crv losing power

Hey Im new here & hoping to get some advice! I have a 99 CRV with 138,xxx miles, bought it from a sketchy guy in Rhode Island (i probably should have just drove away but i didnt) Its most recent problem is a loss of power while Im driving. I knew my cat & o2 sensors were bad so I was hoping my cat was just clogged and I knew my alternator was going so I replaced all of that. After doing this I had no problems for a week, then Im driving down the road today and 20 mins into my drive I lose power again. Rpms drop, gas pedal does basically nothing and Im just rolling down the road until my car decides to work again which it usually takes anywhere from 10 seconds to a minute to get power back. No lights dim when this happens, I dont hear any weird noises & it doesnt stall. my engine doesnt shake unusually or anything when this happens while driving. Although occasionally if im parked/idling my engine with sputter and rpms will drop but it hasnt stalled yet.
This could happen twice in a day or once a week, its seemingly random.

Ive read this could be the symptoms of my fuel pump going or my fuel filter. If anyone has any thoughts Id be happy to hear ‘em.

Old 07-14-2021, 05:30 PM

If it is the fuel system then would put gauge on fuel rail and see if it drops during these loss of power episodes??