CR-V Forum This compact SUV offers the usefulness of an SUV without the steep fuel bill thanks to the efficient yet powerful engine.

Connecting a Bosch OBD 1350 Scanner to CRV with keyless ignition

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2022, 10:18 PM
Default Connecting a Bosch OBD 1350 Scanner to CRV with keyless ignition

My 2018 CRV has the push-button keyless ignition switch and I can't connect a Bosch OBD 2 Scanner to the OBD port. Does anybody know the magic to make it work?

The problem is that the Bosch Scanner wants me to turn off the ignition for 10 seconds and then turn on the ignition (key) so that the Scanner can start to read the car info. But, I can't find any way of satisfying the Scanner's requirement that I turn off the ignition. I've tried going into Accessory Mode. I've tried connecting the Scanner to the port and locking the vehicle (with me in it and also with me out). Then, starting the engine. It just sends a message to suggest that I hadn't switched the key off.

Any advice would help. BTW, I have also sent a message to the Bosch people for help, and if they help, I'll respond to this post with their information.

–Gordon

Old 02-07-2022, 01:09 AM

Is it possible the vehicle does not go into sleep mode quickly?
Connect the scanner to OBDII port and turn everything off??
Let it sit for 30 minutes. Come back and try putting the vehicle into accessory or start the engine??

Old 02-07-2022, 05:19 PM

Originally Posted by avisitor
Is it possible the vehicle does not go into sleep mode quickly?
Connect the scanner to OBDII port and turn everything off??
Let it sit for 30 minutes. Come back and try putting the vehicle into accessory or start the engine??
Avisitor, thanks for your help. I finally got it to work, and here is my procedure:

The Honda CRV has push-button ignition (working in conjunction with the Honda key fob), which makes it hard to follow the instructions to use the code reader. Here is how to get it to work:
  • Plug the Bosch into the Honda OBD port without the engine running. This turns the Bosch unit on.
  • Wait until the Honda dash display clears and goes blank, after entering the car and closing the door. You can have the electronic key fob in the car at this point, and the panel still goes blank to indicate the car “switch” is Off, in the Bosch nomenclature.
  • The Bosch unit says to turn the key off for 10 seconds and then turn the key on. If the Honda dash display is blank, the key is “Off”.
  • Press the Honda Start/Stop key twice to enter Accessory Mode. Note that you need to press the Start/Stop button twice (not just once).
  • Press Enter on the Bosch unit and it starts to read the car.
BTW, the Bosch people did respond, and they did indicate that the Bosch unit will treat the car as a generic unit:
"The OBD 1350 will not have 2018 vehicle specific information programming so you would have to perform a generic scan of the vehicle to see engine/emissions issues with the vehicle. You will have to use the manual vehicle selection method and choose OBD II/EOBD to perform the scan. The tool will not read ABS or Airbag from the vehicle as this proprietary information has not been released to the DIY level tools from the vehicle manufacturers at this time. To scan the vehicle press the start button of the vehicle two times WITHOUT pressing the brake pedal of the vehicle and when prompted by the tool to cycle the key off and on please disregard and just press enter to proceed.
Best regards / Mit freundlichen Grüßen"

Old 02-08-2022, 01:31 AM

That is good news. Got it to work. But, would have been nice to have vehicle specific OBDII info. But, take what you can get??