CR-V Forum This compact SUV offers the usefulness of an SUV without the steep fuel bill thanks to the efficient yet powerful engine.

Hard to find oil leak

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2021, 06:53 PM
Default Found it!

Oil leak came from the VTEC cover gasket located on the front of the valve cover and hidden behind the power steering pump and tensioner. It is just up and to the left of the items in my pictures. Good info from a locally owned Honda repair shop pointed me in the right direction. Had to remove the pump and tensioner to access it but easy from there. Hope this helps someone else with a similar problem.

Old 05-10-2021, 11:35 PM
Super Moderator

thank you for the feed back. will assist others looking for oil leaks.

Old 06-19-2023, 09:02 AM

Originally Posted by Jvincent
Oil leak came from the VTEC cover gasket located on the front of the valve cover and hidden behind the power steering pump and tensioner. It is just up and to the left of the items in my pictures. Good info from a locally owned Honda repair shop pointed me in the right direction. Had to remove the pump and tensioner to access it but easy from there. Hope this helps someone else with a similar problem.
when you say 'VTEC cover gasket" are you referring to the VTEC filter cover gasket?sorry i cannot find a VTEC cover gasket... i have the same problem as you had.

Old 06-19-2023, 09:28 AM
Default Pic

Yes, it is the VTEC filter cover located on the front upper left of the engine. Pic attached. I was surprised how much oil came from this leak. Good luck.

Old 06-19-2023, 06:52 PM

Thankyou very much Sir! recently i spent weeks messing around with the oil pressure switch at rear of block trying to stop a leak, cross threading and doing all sorts of other damage only to find it was the solenoid above this switch dripping onto it!!

Old 06-20-2023, 06:55 AM

Originally Posted by bennie
Thankyou very much Sir! recently i spent weeks messing around with the oil pressure switch at rear of block trying to stop a leak, cross threading and doing all sorts of other damage only to find it was the solenoid above this switch dripping onto it!!
Yes, this was a tough one for me mostly because I focused on the back side of the engine and it ended up being the “easier to get to” gasket on the front. Good luck with the repair.