CR-V Forum This compact SUV offers the usefulness of an SUV without the steep fuel bill thanks to the efficient yet powerful engine.

is scheduled maintenance necessary

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2019, 02:55 PM
Default is scheduled maintenance necessary

Sorry if this question has been answered, but this forum is a little overwhelming. I have a 2015 CR-V with 12,960 miles and have owned iit since new, approximately 4 years. I had the car inspected at the dealer and he says I need the 3 year service which includes flushing the brake fluid, trans fluid, 4 wheel drive flush, injector cleaning (car starts and drives well) and alignment (Tires are not feathered and car tracks straight) . This would cost around $800-$900 plus parts. Do I really need all this done considering my low milage? I know the dealer usually cost more but this seems to be a lot of money. Is it something an independent mechanic can do?

Thanks

Old 06-24-2019, 06:39 PM
Super Moderator

welcome to the forum. since your car is out of Honda's 3 yr, 36k warranty which ever occurs first, you can do anything you want to to the cr-v. I am fortunate that I can work on my own Fit, Hr-v, Town and Country, 87 Bounder, but some work is to much for me to handle so I do have a independent Transmission shop that does all work I cannot handle. a shop that once the hood is closed, I do not have to worry or think about if the job was done right. so find an independent shop or mechanic that you trust to get the work done. enjoy the Cr-v, ive gotton over 200K+ miles on our previous Hondas. civics and accords.

Old 06-24-2019, 06:40 PM

Your owners manual should have the schedule of maintenance.
These recommended maintenance items are necessary to keep your vehicle in good shape
However, the dealerships usually are trying to sell you something you don't need and try to scare you into paying for it
Yes, independent mechanics can do the same job but may not have the necessary fluids or parts.
Hyundai trannys are very touchy if not using their proper fluids. The power steering as well.
Do what makes sense to you. And what will keep your car under warranty

Old 06-25-2019, 09:39 AM

Thanks for your your replies, but I'm still wondering if I still need the 3 year service with only 12,900 plus miles.

Old 06-25-2019, 06:00 PM
Super Moderator

if you are not under warranty, you do not have to do anything to the car. no matter what the milage is.

Old 06-26-2019, 10:41 AM

As others have said, you are out of warranty, so there is no obligation, but it is your piece of mind to deal with.
From your list:
Brake fluid - CAN take on moisture, that is why they suggest changing it, to prevent rusting from inside lines.
Trans fluid - you have CVT in your '15, but I don't think you are at the mileage yet.
4 wheel drive flush - see brake fluid. This will need to be done at some point, differential plates will slip, again, I don't think you are at the mileage yet.
Injectors - depends on your driving. If you putt around the city it can help, but if they just dump something in the tank, you can do it yourself.
Alignment - I wait for indication of problems, they charge the same whether they adjust or not.
All depend somewhat on your driving style and environment you live in.