Element Forum This unique crossover provides the interior room of a minivan with the abilities of a compact SUV.
View Poll Results: Did you find the instructions useful?
Yes
100.00%
No
0%
Too detailed
0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 3. You may not vote on this poll

04 honda element starter replacement instructions

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2016, 06:57 PM
Red face 04 honda element starter replacement instructions

A great mechanic is worth their weight in gold, if you can afford one. I couldn't afford the $658 quote so I decided to do it myself. It took me 2 1/2 hours to get to starter and another 2 1/2 to put it all back together! Element is up and running and all is well again! I saved a significant amount of $$.

Hope this helps. Price quotes as of 11/25/2016

STARTER REMOVAL AND INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS
04 Honda Element EX AWD, Automatic

STARTER REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
(approximately 5 hour process)

To get to starter you’ll have to remove
o Part of Air Flow/Cleaner Assembly
o Throttle Body
o Intake Manifold
Tools needed:
• Torque Wrench (in/lb) - to convert ft/lb to in/lb, multiply ft/lb by 12
• Torque Wrench (ft/lb)
• Ratchet Wrench with various extension lengths
• 6mm, 10mm, 12mm, 14mm and 17mm sockets or 6mm nut driver
• Remember to turn to the right or clockwise “righty” it will tighten and to turn to left “lefty” or counter clockwise it will loosen

Parts needed: (Honda Part Numbers)
• Intake manifold gasket – p/n 17115-RAA-A01 ($32)
• Throttle body gasket – p/n 16176-RAA-A01 ($6)
• Honda Mitsuba RM Starter – 31200-RAA-A53RM – ($320) + ($50 core)
• Return old starter and receive the $50 core refund

LETS GET STARTED
See photo overview for review

• Make sure you have the anti-theft code for your radio (if don’t have code you will NOT be able to operate radio/CD player once you reconnect battery)
• Remove fuse #9 - 10A backup fuse from under hood fuse/relay box to protect audio from electrical system (a fuse puller is inside the fuse/relay box) see photo Fuse
• Disconnect the ( - ) negative black cable from the battery
• Disconnect the ( + ) positive red cable from the battery

AIR FLOW ASSEMBLY REMOVAL (photo 1)
• Disconnect the intake air temperature (IAT) sensor connector (A).
• Loosen only bottom air flow clamp (6mm nut) blue arrow attached to the air flow tube (D)
• Remove air flow tube (D) from throttle body
• Remove air flow chamber (blue arrow) by squeezing clamp open and pulling out from air flow tube
• Loosen (4) Phillip’s head screws on air cleaner cover
• Gently maneuver (D) air flow assembly/air cleaner cover out of way, careful not to disconnect any remaining attached hoses

INTAKE MANIFOLD COVER REMOVAL photo 2
• Remove the (2) intake manifold cover 10mm nuts

DISCONNECT HOSES photo 3
• Disconnect the evaporator emission (EVAP) canister hose (A)

• Disconnect the brake booster vacuum hose (B),
• Squeeze clamps open to remove hoses – DO NOT REMOVE CLAMPS FROM HOSES

THROTTLE BODY REMOVAL photo 4 & 5
• Remove the engine wire harness connectors and wire harness clamps from the intake manifold (blue arrows)
1st_ Idle air control (IAC) valve connector
2nd_ Throttle position (TP) sensor connector
3rd_ Manifold absolute pressure (MAP) sensor connector
• Remove 10mm bolt (A) securing the MAP harness holder see Photo 4 and 6b
• Remove (2) 10mm bolts (B) securing the throttle cable bracket
• Remove (2) Throttle Body 10mm bolts and (2) 10mm nuts – Note gasket orientation
o See photo 5 - item # 8 and #9
• Remove old gasket - see photo 5 - item #2
• When reassembling Throttle Body, clean surface with brake cleaner caution not to damage surface, install new gasket (green side facing down on intake manifold side)
• When reinstalling - Torque specs for Throttle Body nuts and bolts to - 16lb*ft each
• Tightening Sequence: left top bolt, right bottom bolt, right top nut, left bottom nut
• Note: You don’t have to complete the ECM/PCM Idle learn procedure because battery has been disconnected and resets everything to factory settings

INTAKE MANIFOLD REMOVAL Photo 6a & 6b
• Remove the harness clamp (A) – pinch and push out clamp
• Remove (2) harness connectors (B) from the intake manifold bracket – slides off (2) tabs on bracket. See photo 6b
• Remove the intake manifold very bottom bracket 12mm bolt only (C) – trace bottom of intake manifold and feel for head of bolt – you cannot see it so you have to feel for it – right hand side, bottom of intake manifold bracket. See Photo Overview and Photo 6b (blue arrow)
• When re-installing intake manifold bottom bracket 12mm bolt, tighten to 16ft/lb

INTAKE MANIFOLD REMOVAL Photo 7 (continued)
• Remove the (3) intake manifold 12mm bolts and (2) 12mm nuts. Photo 6b (blue arrows)
• Carefully lift intake manifold out of engine compartment – set aside
• Note orientation of intake manifold gasket – remove old gasket
• Clean intake manifold surface (where gasket goes) with brake cleaner, caution not to damage surface
• When re-installing intake manifold replace gasket noting proper orientation of gasket (keyed to upper right hand side)
• When reassembling: Torque specs for intake manifold nuts and bolts - 16lb*ft
• Tightening Sequence: #1(center bottom bolt), #2(right nut), #3(left nut), #4(far right bolt), #5(far left bolt)

STARTER REMOVAL Photo 8
• Flip rubber boot up exposing starter nut, disconnect the starter cable ring terminal, by removing the (red arrow) 12mm nut-lock washer (A) from starter bolt
• Disconnect connector (B) by pulling away from insulated connector on starter
• Remove the harness clamp (C), squeeze tabs and push out of harness holder
• Remove the large wire harness holder (D), lift tab up and slide wire harness out – can be a challenge
CAUTION WHEN CONNECTING STARTER CABLE RING TERMINAL. There is a knock sensor (photo 9) that goes into the engine, this sensor has a **very small gauge wire and can easily be broken! Knock sensor comes off the large wire harness A/B/C/D
• Remove rear 14mm starter mounting bolt. **Caution again, do not break knock sensor and/or wires (left hand side) that’s in line with this bolt – when reinstalling bolt torque to 33lb*ft
• Remove front 17mm starter mounting bolt - when reinstalling bolt torque to 47lb*ft
CAUTION DO NOT OVER TORQUE STARTER NUT -LOCK WASHER – THE STARTER BOLT IS ONLY MOUNTED ON PLASTIC HOUSING AND WILL SNAP OFF IF YOU OVER TORQUE THE NUT! This may void warranty and will permanently damage starter!
• Make sure the (A) crimped side of the ring terminal is FACING OUT – same direction as old starter
• Install NEW starter – If possible reconnect (A) starter cable ring terminal with rubber boot before sliding starter into its final position, torque 12mm nut-lock washer to 7ft*lb (84 in/lb)

TEST STARTER CONNECTION
• Once starter is installed, make sure radiator fan is clear to rotate freely, make sure no tools, rags or parts are loose in engine area, especially near intake manifold or throttle body, make sure all wire harnesses are secure
• Reconnect battery (+) then (-), re-install #9 fuse. Briefly turn key to see if starter engages/turns over - DO NOT start engine, if it doesn’t start/engage recheck all your connections especially starter cable ring terminal (A) – DO NOT OVER TORQUE THIS NUT! – ALL BOLTS AND NUTS MUST BE TORQUED TO SPECS!
• If engine starts/turns over, Congratulations you are now half way done, take a break and enjoy a soda or cup of joe!
• Disconnect battery, neg (-) first then (+), remove #9 fuse, reassemble intake manifold, throttle body and air filter in reverse order

STARTER for 04 HONDA ELEMENT - AUTOMATIC Photo 8 & 9
*DO NOT OVER TORQUE Nut that secures A to starter! Torque to 7lb/ft or (84 lb/in)

Knock Sensor shown in photo 9, it’s left of rear starter 14mm mounting bolt and comes off the large wire harness A/B/C/D. Careful not to damage Knock Senor or it’s wiring!

If I can do it, so can you! I am a single mom on a budget! Good luck!

Attached Thumbnails 04 honda element starter replacement instructions-overview.png   04 honda element starter replacement instructions-fuse.png   04 honda element starter replacement instructions-photo-1.png   04 honda element starter replacement instructions-photo-3.jpg   04 honda element starter replacement instructions-photo-4.png  

04 honda element starter replacement instructions-photo-5.png   04 honda element starter replacement instructions-photo-6a.png   04 honda element starter replacement instructions-photo-6b.png   04 honda element starter replacement instructions-photo-8.png   04 honda element starter replacement instructions-photo-9.png  

Last edited by zdshane; 12-01-2016 at 07:09 PM. Reason: review
Old 04-10-2018, 01:56 PM
Default Great writeup

Thank you for taking the time to provide such a detailed step by step. Makes it easier to decide whether or not to tackle myself.

Old 04-11-2018, 10:51 AM

You're welcome. It's April 11th my Honda is still running! No problems with starter as of today!

Thanks for taking the time to express your appreciation. Made my day!

If you have the time and tools I would go for it....

Good luck no matter what decision you make!

Old 09-26-2020, 01:48 PM

Thank you for this post. For some reason ??? I cannot view the thumbnail pictures. A window opens showing 1/10, etc. but it is black and the photos don't appear?

Old 09-26-2020, 09:36 PM

There is a way to replace the starter from underneath
This eliminates the need to remove the intake manifold.
Plenty of youtube videos on this
Here is an example

Old 09-26-2020, 11:15 PM

https://www.elementownersclub.com/th...ctions.142601/
Hi Perly! I will try and dig up the photos and send directly. For the time being go to ElementOwnerClub.com > type in "Starter" in search engine and I listed same instructions, you can view photos there. However, site only allowed 6 pic uploads. I don't know why can't view thumbnail pics at this site, I am having same trouble too? could be formatting incompatibility? or ? I am newbie to site! Great news, haven't had any trouble with starter, still runs great!! I replaced front/rear brakes too...will post instructions and pics when I have some down time. Thanks for viewing...remember if I can do it, so can you! Take care, be safe!

Old 09-26-2020, 11:51 PM

Hi Perly it's me again. With a little persistance, I think I figured out how to view photos. Go to upper right hand corner Search box, in the drop down (left hand side) select "Threads" type in the (search Threads box) "starter."
You should see my "Poll 04 honda element starter replacement instructions" posted. Within that post box is a paper-clip (attachments), and next to it is an envelope with a check mark. Click on the paper-clip, a pop-up box will appear in upper left hand corner and list all the photos. Just click on each photo and you should be able to view. As you click on each photo I would take a screen-shot (click windows logo key and print screen key together) so you can view side-by-side with instructions. Hope this helps! Be safe and stay determined!!

Old 09-27-2020, 03:09 AM

Thanks. I'll watch this video.

Old 09-27-2020, 03:12 AM

That worked!!! Thanks very much. Be safe too.