General Honda Talk Talk about any general Honda information in here.

Civic vs. Accord for learning to work on cars

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2022, 07:33 PM
Default Civic vs. Accord for learning to work on cars

Hello all,

I'm looking to buy a used Civic or Accord for 3 reasons: (1) to have a beater car when needed, (2) to learn how to drive stick, and (3) to learn how to work on cars. For the third reason, I'm talking about very simple, basic, novice-level things, and maybe work my way up. I'm generally looking at cars in the 2001 to 2010 range. Does anyone have an opinion as to whether a Civic or an Accord would be better suited for learning how to work on cars? Or for learning how to drive a manual? Thanks!

Chuck VK

Old 02-19-2022, 12:13 AM

Those are three great reasons to buy a Honda. But, if you want to learn how to work on cars then you will need money to fix a car DIY style. That or read many books and watch lots of youtube videos. Start with the videos and see if you still have the attention span to watch them all the way thru.

Old 02-19-2022, 10:02 AM

Originally Posted by avisitor
Those are three great reasons to buy a Honda. But, if you want to learn how to work on cars then you will need money to fix a car DIY style. That or read many books and watch lots of youtube videos. Start with the videos and see if you still have the attention span to watch them all the way thru.
Avisitor,

Oh yeah, I've already started doing all that. And I'm enjoying it. I was just wondering if people felt Civcs or Accords were easier to work on for a newbie. I thought Accords might be easier because they are a little bigger. But I've read (without much explanation) that some people think Civics are easier. Thanks for the input!

Chuck

Old 02-19-2022, 11:11 AM
Super Moderator

welcome to the forum. I have owned 3 of both civic and accord. both are good to learn on. best training i got was to go to the salvage yard and take the civic and accord apart. then you get hands on training. utube videos help a lot, hands on is the best. you'll get used to tools and banging up your knuckles and hands. wear gloves if possible.

Old 02-20-2022, 12:15 AM

Now a days the modern car has very little space to work. So, many times, it may require removing something else to get enough space to work on what you really need to. These engines are difficult to change the starter. The position is just tough. On a Camry, the starter is right up top. Only need to remove the air intake box. And maybe the battery with tray?? Anyway, if you enjoy wrenching then you might also think about getting an impact wrench/gun. It helps at times when things get difficult. I bought one just to take the lug nuts off. Then, I used it to take off other stuff. Once had to change the front wheel bearing. The impact definitely helped save time and effort. A good set of six sided wrenches. 12 pointed wrenches are okay for something but sometimes will round off a nut or bolt. If you live in the salt belt then you will learn how difficult it can get to remove a stuck bolt. And impact might help. But often times, it needs to be worked back and forth for a long time with extra lube in order to not break the bolt head or nut. Sorry, just rambling now.