General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

2003 civic ex no crank

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2023, 10:23 AM
Default 2003 civic ex no crank

Im working on a friends 2003 civic ex and im needing a little help diagnosing this issue he has had

in short he had no crank even when getting a jumpstart because his battery was also dead.

I checked and tested the starter and the motor was seized so we replaced the starter hoping that would fix it.

With the new starter it was the same issue accept the starter was actually trying to turn however it was still barely turning the engine. And by barely i mean that the serpentine belt moved maybe an inch still.

He had mentioned that he overheated the engine a few times in the past and when i looked at the coolant reservoir there was no coolant in it at all.

I didnt have many tools on me becasue i just brought enough to do the starter so i do not know the condition of the timing belt but he said it was done at 60k miles and it now has 130k miles however it is not confirmed if that repair was actually done at 60k.

I tried turning the engine from the flex plate when the starter was off and i was able to move it fairly easily so i do not think the engine is locked up.

Im perplexed however because with a new starter and being jumped with my jeep we still couldn’t get it to turn over.

My question to all is if the timing belt is off would this cause this issue? I feel like there’s something more im missing here however i do not want to keep throwing parts at this if its a lost cause.

My guess is that since the battery he has is almost 3 years old and is clearly not enough to start it could cause this however Ike i said every attempt to start it was jumping off of my battery in my jeep. Considering my jeep battery is 2 years old this could still not be enough amps to start it up however i dont really see that being the issue becasue the new starter sounds strong and is just not able to turn the engine.

In short could this be a timing belt issue or something else entirely? Im going to look at again sometime this week and when i do im bringing a jump box and will take the timing belt cover off to inspect that as well. But if the timing belt is not tangled or anything and the jump box doesnt start it i dont know where to go from there. Any help or knowledge would be great i know its a pretty basic car however i dont know all of the ins and outs of Hondas hopefully someone on here has ran into the same issue before thanks!

Old 09-06-2023, 12:31 PM

See if you can rotate the crank at the balancer. Engine is probably seized.

Old 09-07-2023, 02:06 AM

Take the serpentine belt off and see if engine rotates. Use socket on crank bolt to turn engine.
If not seized then do you still have the dead battery in the Civic?
A dead battery can pull down the available current for the starter to crank the engine.
Thing to do is to disconnect the dead battery. Using only the Jeep's battery jump start the engine.
Please be aware of polarity.
Nothing worse than jumping the battery/car backwards.