General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

93 Civic Dx auto not upshifting

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2019, 10:40 PM
Default 93 Civic Dx auto not upshifting

w months ago the speed ometer stopped working.. I did not replace speed sensor right away because I don’t really drive the car often. Drove about 2 miles down the road to the store and the car wouldn’t start. Look under the hood and some genius had apparently replaced the starter at some point and didn’t bother to use both mounting bolts so the weight of the starter caused the bracket to break, the battery cable terminal landed on the transmission cooling line causing a hole. Replaced the cooling line immediately and topped off ATF. My daily was in the shop so I drove the Honda to work (again speed ometer only thing not working at this time) drove fine no hesitation in shifting, idling, no weird smells, ran great. On the way home that night I’m on the highway (it’s 65 mph zone I’m following speed of traffic) suddenly it was like I threw the car in first gear so I pull over immediately and search for signs. No leaks, smells, smoke etc and I was about 2 miles from home so I restart the car and it will not upshift at all. I tried putting it in 1,2,3 instead of drive and upshifting manually still no luck. So I limped home keeping the rpms as low as possible to avoid more damage. Taking advice from hours of research I’ve so far Replaced the speed sensor, replaced the shift control solenoid, cleaned all connectors in the process, changed fluid and still having same issue. The car will go in park fine, reverse fine just will not shift up. I’ve done hours of research and cannot seem to find any answers for this issue that I haven’t tried already( I mentioned cooling line and speed sensor in case they have any relevance to this issue) The check engine light used to come on when the speed sensor was out but now it does not otherwise I would check for codes so I’m not sure what to do next. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Car is 93 Civic dx coupe (Canadian version)

Old 02-28-2019, 12:36 AM
Super Moderator

welcome to the forum. wondering what type of trans fluid did you use to service your transmission. if you used anything else but Honda fluid from Honda dealer, the transmission will start giving you trouble.

Old 03-01-2019, 02:30 AM

only thing I can add is that I once owned a ford Taurus that did about the same thing, going down the hi way it would shift into about any gear it wanted to....ended up being shift solenoids located inside the trans...basically a trans rebuild,,,so $1500 later all was good again