Honda Accord Forum This popular mid sized car is offered in both a coupe and sedan, mixes performance with versatility.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trans fluid

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2020, 04:47 PM
Default Trans fluid

Hello to all here, and thanks for welcoming myself. Just picked up an 02 Accord, with a 2.3. At 142 K I am finding that the Trans Fluid was never flushed out appropriately.

How important is it to flush it with Honda specific fluid? The owners manual states that I can use DEX III, just my shifts will be a bit harsher. Thinking of attempting it myself but do not wish to blow out anything in it.

On an old GM Turbo Hydramatic you can flush it by draining the pan and disconnect the lines at the radiator. Would this type of method work without harming anything?

The manual states that a proper way would be to drain it and fill it with the proper fluid 3 times. Should be done by a Honda Tech. I am a bit leary of having it plugged into one of those machines at the Dealership due to the amount of contaminant it could contain.

Looking forward to some Happy Honda Days!

Old 10-04-2020, 01:37 AM
Super Moderator

welcome to the forum. if you decide to change the fluid it can be done. using honda fluid not aftermarket. and change it 3 times as it says in the manual. be careful to not leave any gasket nor sealer in the pan side to fall off and mix in the fluid. the trans internal filter is about the size of your thumb and if that gets clogged, your trans will need to be taken apart to clean it out. i do not recommend flushing the trans out. I've got 294k on my fit and fluid change is done once a year. aftermarket fluid produces too much detergent and messes up the trans.

Old 10-05-2020, 05:07 PM

Thanks for the guidance, Yeas! I have the same belief system also. Trying hard to not go outside the box on this, but the standard drain and fill is kinda like throwing money around.

Who would have any ideas on how to get a flush done without the contaminated machine at the dealer???

Gotta be a way.

We there is Will, you will always find Mary!

Old 10-05-2020, 11:26 PM
Super Moderator

you can ask the garage when they changed their fluid and take it in on the day they changed the fresh fluid.