Honda Civic Forum This top selling compact car, offered in both a coupe or sedan, has become popular among people who want economy and performance.

Multiple warning lights 2013 Honda Civic EX

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2018, 03:45 PM
Default Multiple warning lights 2013 Honda Civic EX

Its been roughly a month now since we started having issues with our Civic. Little bit of background information if it helps. Has 105k miles on it. Never any major issues. While driving I got a notification to "Check Emissions" shortly after I got another stating "Check Power Steering" and immediately another "Check Transmission" this all occurred within 10mins. Once those messages appeared the MPH read 0 and wouldn't display how fast I was traveling. We took the car to autozone and have them test the battery to see if it was a voltage issue. Battery tested perfectly fine. Had them hook up a code reader and it displayed the codes as before mentioned. Our next step was to take it to the dealership, yes I know big mistake. They kept the car for 24hrs called us back and said it's the transmission. Now I'm not a mechanic or expert in any way but it sounds rather off it would be the transmission. The car has never had any issues shifting or getting in or out of gear. They said because the fluid was cloudy and contain "debris" which they didn't show me any physical evidence of left me suspicious as to if they really even checked it out. I'm really lost where to go from here. The car is almost paid off and I've been told that rebuilds or replacements are a ton of money and sometimes the car is never the same again. If anyone out there could give me some advice or what steps I should take next that'll be amazing. Thanks.

Old 12-15-2018, 11:35 PM
Super Moderator

welcome to the forum. not knowing how the maintenance was performed on the civic for 105k miles, ill take it the dealer has done all the work. if other repair shops have done the work for 105k miles, did they use Honda only fluid for the transmission. also I would take the civic to another dealer and see if they come up with the same diagnosis. if you did all the work, what type of fluid did you use for the transmission service? normally a service dept if debri is found in the trans oil will save a sample and show you what debri is in the oil. when was the last time you checked the trans fluid. this would have showed up on the stick.

Old 12-16-2018, 01:27 PM

Originally Posted by acmech52
welcome to the forum. not knowing how the maintenance was performed on the civic for 105k miles, ill take it the dealer has done all the work. if other repair shops have done the work for 105k miles, did they use Honda only fluid for the transmission. also I would take the civic to another dealer and see if they come up with the same diagnosis. if you did all the work, what type of fluid did you use for the transmission service? normally a service dept if debri is found in the trans oil will save a sample and show you what debri is in the oil. when was the last time you checked the trans fluid. this would have showed up on the stick.
Car was serviced either by the dealer or myself on a regular bases. The transmission has never been flushed. When they had checked the vehicle they didn't provide us a sample of the fluid that contained debris. The service advisor said they found the debris when they pulled the filter. When I picked up the car from them I had asked if they drained the transmission completely. They said no.

Old 12-16-2018, 09:21 PM
Super Moderator

normally only 1/3 of the trans fluid is changed at a time, takes about 3 times to change most of the fluid. seems odd the trans to start failing at 105k miles. have you tried another dealership to get a second opinion as to the cause of the warning lights.

Old 12-16-2018, 09:26 PM

What I would do us take it to a transmission repair place and let them check it out.

Old 12-17-2018, 12:24 AM

normally only 1/3 of the trans fluid is changed at a time, takes about 3 times to change most of the fluid. seems odd the trans to start failing at 105k miles. have you tried another dealership to get a second opinion as to the cause of the warning lights.
I thought the very same thing too. 105k seems still pretty avg for a car it's age. I have yet to take it to another dealership out of fear of them charging just to check it and getting it over there without paying the high cost of a town truck.

Old 12-17-2018, 12:25 AM

Originally Posted by bucwheat
What I would do us take it to a transmission repair place and let them check it out.
We have considered doing that. Just worried about the cost of being able to get it there.

Old 12-17-2018, 02:06 AM
Super Moderator

sorry I did not know your car was hard down, transmission completely dead. the cost to fix the transmission would be about 2500 for an automatic. Honda may charge a lot more up to 4000.00 have you tried to call around and see if you might be able to get the best estimate for a trans overhaul.

Old 12-17-2018, 12:27 PM

sorry I did not know your car was hard down, transmission completely dead. the cost to fix the transmission would be about 2500 for an automatic. Honda may charge a lot more up to 4000.00 have you tried to call around and see if you might be able to get the best estimate for a trans overhaul.
The car does drive. Just the speedometer isn't working and the rpms get rather high. I can get it in and out of gear easily. Never had issues before or after