Honda Scooters Information on Honda's economical scooters.

2006 Honda Metropolitan - Assistance Needed w/startup issue

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2019, 10:12 PM
Question 2006 Honda Metropolitan - Assistance Needed w/startup issue

Hey all! I've been doing basic maintenance on my 2006 Honda Metropolitan for a while and it's been a great little scooter. However, after acknowledging that my fuel pump was going bad (ticking like a loud clock), I replaced the following parts:
- Fuel Pump
- Fuel Filter
- Air Filter
- Spark plug

However, I made a bonehead move and accidentally had the spark plug boot disconnected and tried to start it. It clicked 5 times and then stopped... Cause of my issues? Maybe.

Here's what I've checked, and additional things I've done to try to get the scooter started, to no avail:
- Battery is reading 13.6V, so should be good
- Checked the fuses, and the main and two 'circuit' fuses are still good
- Cleaned the carb entirely (can't hurt)
- Replaced the oil (again, can't hurt)
- Replaced the Ignition Coil (figured this could be the culprit, but did nothing)
- Checked all fuel lines, and they are clean
- Checked voltage at the fuel pump, and it's only showing 0.1V... Not sure what to think about this, but it's probably not good... ha

Here's what the scooter is currently doing:
- Turning Ignition to On (with kill switch off, of course) yields a single flash of the rear tail light and the main console, but then there are no lights, no horn, etc
- Pressing and holding the start button (with or without the brake held, it doesn't seem to matter) yields loud, consistent clicking at the fuse box area for as long as I hold the start button down

Any ideas? I'm really stumped by this, though I'm sure it's something really obvious that you more educated folks can help with!

Last edited by Christmastaco; 06-15-2019 at 09:42 AM.
Old 06-25-2019, 09:04 AM

This sounds exactly like what I have going on with my 02 I just bought. Have you figured anything out yet?

Old 06-25-2019, 10:05 AM

Nope, unfortunately I haven't figured it out. The one thing that's changed is that I disassembled and cleaned the carb, and when resetting the ECM(?) the electrical system came to life for a few seconds. Then, it promptly died again. No idea what's going on, but when I find out it's a stupid short that I just can't see, I'm gonna be tempted to burn the stupid thing for all the trouble it's caused me... haha

Old 06-25-2019, 10:30 AM

I've only had my 02 for a few days. I bought it for $100 figured I cant go wrong.

Old 06-25-2019, 07:16 PM

Did you check for spark?
If there is a loud clicking then could it be possible there is a relay?
Can you do a relay by-pass test??

Old 06-26-2019, 01:30 PM

By-passed starter relay last night, got it to crank over finally. Still no spark or fuel pump running. Removed fuel pump last night, tested at work today works fine. Does the starter relay control more than just the starter? What does the swing relay do??

Old 06-26-2019, 01:52 PM

I don't know. Would need schematic to answer that.
But, it would seem starting the engine requires to turn on a few things.

Old 08-25-2020, 03:35 PM
Default Get it figured out? Mine is doing the same thing.

Originally Posted by Christmastaco
Hey all! I've been doing basic maintenance on my 2006 Honda Metropolitan for a while and it's been a great little scooter. However, after acknowledging that my fuel pump was going bad (ticking like a loud clock), I replaced the following parts:
- Fuel Pump
- Fuel Filter
- Air Filter
- Spark plug

However, I made a bonehead move and accidentally had the spark plug boot disconnected and tried to start it. It clicked 5 times and then stopped... Cause of my issues? Maybe.

Here's what I've checked, and additional things I've done to try to get the scooter started, to no avail:
- Battery is reading 13.6V, so should be good
- Checked the fuses, and the main and two 'circuit' fuses are still good
- Cleaned the carb entirely (can't hurt)
- Replaced the oil (again, can't hurt)
- Replaced the Ignition Coil (figured this could be the culprit, but did nothing)
- Checked all fuel lines, and they are clean
- Checked voltage at the fuel pump, and it's only showing 0.1V... Not sure what to think about this, but it's probably not good... ha

Here's what the scooter is currently doing:
- Turning Ignition to On (with kill switch off, of course) yields a single flash of the rear tail light and the main console, but then there are no lights, no horn, etc
- Pressing and holding the start button (with or without the brake held, it doesn't seem to matter) yields loud, consistent clicking at the fuse box area for as long as I hold the start button down

Any ideas? I'm really stumped by this, though I'm sure it's something really obvious that you more educated folks can help with!
Just wondering if you figured it out. I’m hoping it’s just a battery that’s going bad and the electrics need a certain voltage to run...