Pilot Forum This mid sized SUV offers the towing capacity of a small truck, with the interior room of an SUV.

2019 Honda Pilot Touring Popping Sounds

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2020, 12:35 PM

I have been having the same problem for months now on my 2019 Pilot. I just scheduled a service appointment and they called me back within an hour and told me not to bother to bring it in. The service department said they are aware of the problem and there is no fix for it as now.

Absolutely ridiculous.

Old 07-02-2020, 03:23 PM

I am so so so glad I found this thread. I have a 2020 with 2700 miles. I will be taking it in tomorrow for this exact issue. The service tech already told me that there isn't one solution but they are required to do all the checks before elevating to Honda.

I already filed a case with Honda based upon all of the comments i've read thru various forums.

Old 07-05-2020, 09:59 PM

I had the same popping sound coming out of my speakers. I recently took my 2019 Touring to the dealer for this and erratic shifting at 33 mph. The dealer installed new software in the transmission controller. This seems to have fixed the transmission. They said they couldn't find an error code for the speaker popping and to record it on my phone if it happens again. The weird thing is since they installed the new transmission software I haven't heard the popping in over a week. I used to hear it a couple times a day. I don't know how this is related but I'm hoping for the best.

Update: Its been over a month and still no ticking from the speakers. The dealer swears they only installed the software and didn't work on the speaker noise. I don't care since both issues have been fixed.

Last edited by cristphoto; 07-13-2020 at 09:30 AM.
Old 07-13-2020, 05:13 PM

Originally Posted by shsd
Hi, I have not had the popping sound since the repair. I think it has to do with the connectors and the shielding of the wires. The most bus cables are carrying a lot of data and any poor connection can pick up noise or interference from other systems like the ecm etc. I had left the car in the dealership for several days, I wanted them to do a thorough troubleshooting with Honda engineering and fix the issue correctly.
hi, thank you so much to you and everyone for posting useful information. I also purchased a branch new 2020 pilot elite and after about 400 miles I noticed popping and crackling sounds from the front speakers. Like everyone else, I first thought some plastic or trims are expanding in heat but then I researched and found out the real issue. I am taking my vehicle in tomorrow. Let’s see.

shsd- how is your vehicle now? Any more noises?

Old 07-21-2020, 02:10 PM
Default Pilot 2020 Popping Noise

All- can anyone provide update on their issues? Thanks.

Old 07-21-2020, 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by Pilot2020
All- can anyone provide update on their issues? Thanks.
Honda has informed me that my issue is fixed and I should be getting my vehicle back today. They said it was some crossed wires behind the dashboard....but we'll see.

It helped that I filed a Case with American Honda so they paid closer attention to my vehicle and have been tracking it. They are even prepared to send an Engineer out...if need be.

Old 07-21-2020, 02:24 PM
Default Pilot 2020

Great, so I went to Honda and they fixed it. They said the had to reroute the wiring behind the dash and they checked the most connectors which they said were fine. I have had the car for 5 days now with no issues. I may have heard the popping noise twice but even that I am not sure since I may have just heard something else. Overall no issues thus far. Check the picture of the repair notes.

Old 07-23-2020, 08:44 AM
Default Issue came back

Originally Posted by Pilot2020
Great, so I went to Honda and they fixed it. They said the had to reroute the wiring behind the dash and they checked the most connectors which they said were fine. I have had the car for 5 days now with no issues. I may have heard the popping noise twice but even that I am not sure since I may have just heard something else. Overall no issues thus far. Check the picture of the repair notes.
update 7/23: this morning when I sat in my car, the issue suddenly reappeared. I called the dealership and they said the bring it in. This is getting frustrated. Any update from others?

Old 07-27-2020, 06:01 PM
Super Moderator

ahsan: i believe that the amount of failures compared to the amount of success that Honda will attempt to fix what is wrong with the ones sold and to correct the new ones on the assembly liine will not shut the pilot down. it is an overall good vehicle to own and drive for a large family and more so if driving in heavy terrain. also a tall suv to drive in a high flood zone. if it were a safety item, it would do a recall to do the fix. no auto dealer will shut down a line if there are only a few minor fixes compared to many good vehicles made.

Old 07-28-2020, 04:56 AM
Default 2020 Honda Pilot popping sounds, odometer screen turns off

Originally Posted by JuliaSugarbaker
my 2019 pilot elite starting making the cracking sound about 30 days after purchase. i too described it to the technician as glass cracking or ice cracking. my husband and i believe it is something with the speakers and it may be more like a bad connection with wires. of course, when i took it in, no one heard anything. also when it auto locks, there is a "static" sound in the locking mechanism.

is there anyone else experiencing this and, if so, have you been given an answer to what's causing this. i'm pretty upset that my vehicle is less than a year old and already i'm having what appears to be an electrical issue.

thanks for any input.
yes, my 2020 Pilot Elite is doing the same thing. Started around 1,000 miles too

Quick Reply: 2019 Honda Pilot Touring Popping Sounds