Pilot Forum This mid sized SUV offers the towing capacity of a small truck, with the interior room of an SUV.

Worrying Issue with Automatic Gears

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2018, 05:45 PM
Default Worrying Issue with Automatic Gears

Hello everyone, Im really worried about an issue Im having with my car that the Honda people couldn't identify.

I bought a 0km Honda Pilot 3 years ago, never had a problem until recently, the problem is as follows:

Im sitting at a red light with my car on Drive and my foot on the brake, and suddenly the car switches to Neutral and a few seconds later to Parking, completely on its own. I touch the Drive button again, nothing happens, I have to turn the car off and on again to be able to put it back into Drive gear, and even so sometimes I have to turn it off and back on repeatedly to be able to.

So far it happened a handful of times, and it appears to be completely random, I took it to the Honda Service where I always went and they had the car for 2 days and couldn't replicate the issue and have no idea what it could be so they gave it back to me.

Im really worried this will escalate and one day the car will go into Neutral or Parking while Im on the highway or simply driving instead of sitting idle, it makes no sense that it can switch gears on its own like that, and it never ever happened in the 3 years I've had it.

Any information you could give me would be greatly appreciated, and thank you for reading this.

Old 09-21-2018, 02:43 AM
Super Moderator

welcome to the forum. first thing you want to do is document what the pilot is doing and when, date, time,gear it in to what it does stop or driving. dealer advised and results. some of the pilots in 2015 needed their transmission software updated. you might ask honda to check into this if this happens again, and show them your documentation of what happened. also keep taking it in to honda everytime this happens. if it happens on the freeway during driving, get over to a safe place and call honda service dept and speak to a service agent and tell them what is happening.

Old 09-22-2018, 09:26 AM

Thank you for your answer, hopefully its just a sofware update like you said.

Old 10-04-2018, 01:59 AM

almost they same thing happened to me but with a ford Taurus I owned for a few years....the thing would shift whenever it wanted to...example - driving on the interstate then it would just shift down from over drive to maybe 1 st or second by itself...a bit scary to say the least...ended up being some sort of senor or sensors inside the tranny.which of course meant a rebuild

Old 10-04-2018, 01:21 PM
Super Moderator

the ford taurus and murcury transmission was built poorly, the overdrive shaft did not have lubrication so it wore out and allowed the trans to shift down to 4th or lower gear. it would also shift up and down at whenever it wanted, overhaul by ford or a transmission shop was ok for the first several thousand miles than back to the same unless the trans shop knew how to install a overdrive lube system than the trans was good for life. ask me how I know after 2 overhauls on my 88 Fix Or Repair Daily Taurus.. did like the comfort of the car.

Old 10-05-2018, 02:23 AM

Originally Posted by acmech52
the ford taurus and murcury transmission was built poorly, the overdrive shaft did not have lubrication so it wore out and allowed the trans to shift down to 4th or lower gear. it would also shift up and down at whenever it wanted, overhaul by ford or a transmission shop was ok for the first several thousand miles than back to the same unless the trans shop knew how to install a overdrive lube system than the trans was good for life. ask me how I know after 2 overhauls on my 88 Fix Or Repair Daily Taurus.. did like the comfort of the car.
I have to agree on the fix or repair daily...when I had the Taurus I did spend way to much time working on it