CR-V Forum This compact SUV offers the usefulness of an SUV without the steep fuel bill thanks to the efficient yet powerful engine.

Just bought a 2010 AWD...tranny questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2019, 03:26 PM
Default Just bought a 2010 AWD...tranny questions

Bought 2010 AWD CRV last night. I didn't really give it a good test drive until this morning. It shudders (I compare what it is doing to an old manual trans when you are in high gear and going to slow). Does it at around 30 to 40 mph...especially on a uphill grade. Its like its not downshifting. Any ideas? I'm reading all sorts of horror stories!! I got a 6 month warranty on the drive train, but I'm wondering if it can be even fixed!

Confidence is low...I repeat "Confidence is low!..lol

I hate this because I really like everything else about this little SUV! It's my first Honda...

Old 10-02-2019, 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by jim_w
Bought 2010 AWD CRV last night. I didn't really give it a good test drive until this morning. It shudders (I compare what it is doing to an old manual trans when you are in high gear and going to slow). Does it at around 30 to 40 mph...especially on a uphill grade. Its like its not downshifting. Any ideas? I'm reading all sorts of horror stories!! I got a 6 month warranty on the drive train, but I'm wondering if it can be even fixed!

Confidence is low...I repeat "Confidence is low!..lol

I hate this because I really like everything else about this little SUV! It's my first Honda...
First and easiest thing to do is try looking at the tranny fluid. If it's anything but red, you might want to consider changing it and seeing if that helps. Pretty easy to do on the CR-V. There's a drain plug on the tranny pan. Loosen, remove and drain. I always measure how much drains out so I know how much to put back in (if your confident that the fluid level was correct originally). I think you need a crush washer when replacing the drain plug. Good luck!

Old 10-02-2019, 04:23 PM

Originally Posted by RenegadeX
First and easiest thing to do is try looking at the tranny fluid. If it's anything but red, you might want to consider changing it and seeing if that helps. Pretty easy to do on the CR-V. There's a drain plug on the tranny pan. Loosen, remove and drain. I always measure how much drains out so I know how much to put back in (if your confident that the fluid level was correct originally). I think you need a crush washer when replacing the drain plug. Good luck!
Thank you. I will go check it. Do I need to get OEM fluid if it does need changing?

Old 10-02-2019, 07:34 PM

I checked the fluid..color was red and looked pretty clean. Level was good too.

Old 10-02-2019, 07:38 PM

I drove it again, and I can reproduce the issue easily now. I can slow down to about 40mph, from my normal highway speed, and slowly try to speed back up, and it happens every time. Feels like it isn't downshifting correctly and is trying to start back off in too high a gear.

Old 10-03-2019, 02:29 AM
Super Moderator

welcome to the forum. If the trans fluid is red and clean, need to find out what type of trans fluid was used, if no one knows, take the vehicle back to the dealership and get them to fix the transmission. ( must use Honda transmission fluid only on all honda's). Read the 6 mos warranty on the drive train and see if you have to pay for 1/2 of the repair. many times if you buy a honda from a used car sales and not a dealership, it's because it has some type of problem and sold to the car sale whole sale. check the entire drive system before taking it back to the sales lot to fix anything else found. DO NOT CHANGE THE FLUID YOURSELF, IT WILL VOID THE WARRANTY.

Old 10-14-2019, 05:03 AM

Wanted to add a followup comment..I had the Honda dealership flush the transmission and torque converter on my 2010 CRV-EXL. The above mentioned problem went away, but they said if it re-appeared that the torque converter would have to be replaced! They quoted 1800.00 for replacing converter! It was over 200.00 just for the flush!

I still notice a slight vibration at certain speeds/loads but not enough to stress about!

Old 07-24-2021, 02:32 PM
Default Similar problems in 2013 CRV

Hi I'm having the same vibrations around 40-80 kph and decided to look under the vehicle.
I have read about the torque converter issue and that seems to be the problem I guess? After looking under my vehicle I noticed slop on the axle where it joins ...something (pic included). I also noticed moisture on the other end that connects to the transmission. Any idea what it might be?
Thanks!

Red arrows point to where I see moisture and slop build up that looks wet.

One end with the slop

Another area i see wetness. No clue what it is.