General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

civic stall

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2011, 08:44 AM
Default civic stall

Sorry this is a little long.

I have a basic 98 civic/auto w/160,000 miles. Never had any issues with it until now. Every so often and only when my wife has it, it just dies. It starts right back up after. No check engine lights have come on. It will not do it no matter how long I drive it. Only the wife. Figures....I've let this go on for a few months now waiting for it to die for good, but it hasn't.

I've changed the fuel filter.
I don't like randomly changing out parts but the fuel pump seemed a little slow with less than a quarter tank, so I swapped that out as well. Again, I drove it more than 500 miles over back roads, highways speeds, city.... no issues. Car ran perfectly.

The wife gets in, stalls twice before leaving the driveway.
She has a 5lb key ring that I've asked her repeatedly not to use. The switch seems a bit worn, so I give her my single key. She still has ongoing issues. Once again the car won't stall for me over several hundred more miles no matter how hard I try.

Right now I'm only guessing that...

....The ignition switch is faulty and only she has the touch to set it to the stall position.

....My wife tends to be a bit jerky when she drives, wondering if there could be a faulty sensor she's triggering.

....In my quest wiggling and looking for loose wires under the hood I noticed a small amount of silver and brass 'dust' in the manifold right under the throttle cam. The cam seems tight. I couldn't cause a stall by playing with it but could that be sign of something that could cause random stalling? We have noticed the gas peddle feels 'hard' occasionally but not at the time of stall.

....My last guess is the Honda hates the wife.

Again, I don't want to be randomly changing out parts, or the wife, but any other suggestions or advice on how to narrow this down would be greatly appreciated. Been waiting for it to die for good to help solve it but ..............

Again sorry for being so long winded.

Thanks.

Last edited by stroker; 01-04-2011 at 08:50 AM.
Old 01-05-2011, 07:32 AM

Welcome to the forum,You did as I would suggest,fuel filter then pump,I think you hit on it with the ignition. The switch has been an issue with what I have read on 98/99 civics and I believe there has been a recall on them.For $30 I would try that next. Beats $95 an hour for a mech to trace it down,Good luck and let us know what you find.

Old 01-17-2011, 06:54 PM

Let her use your set of car keys the next time she drives.